english speaking lawyer in surin/prasat

Seriously cutting down your options here by looking for a lawyer that speaks English.

There is a very good lawyer that I have usedin Buriram, but I speak Thai to him.

Do people really have no one they can trust that can go with them to translate?

It was a few years ago now mate. i ended up getting 2 done for around 3000 baht.

Are you still doing them, as i need to make some changes?

Lukey - rather than hijack/divert this thread I will post a new topic under Thai Widows & Expats.

Stevo,
It isn't a question of having no one we can trust.
I can't be the only person who has told their partner their requirements only to find that they didn't quite understand what was required and instead of clarifying matters with you they applied their own interpretation of what was required. I am sure it is the face thing - not wanting to admit that their English isn't perfect.
I only wish my Thai was one hundredth as good as my partners English but he wants to be perfect in front of other Thai people.

It was a few years ago now mate. i ended up getting 2 done for around 3000 baht.

Are you still doing them, as i need to make some changes?

WTF1as this thread is already Offtopic2. I'll inquire...
Will your 'will and testament' in Thailand carry full breathe and weight towards any holding, properties and/ or assets in your country of citizenship ?

Meaning, can a will made by a lawyer in Thailand dispose of property held in another country properly towards your named beneficiaries whether those beneficiaries are Thai or from another country ?

A proper and knowledgeable response may be able to assist myself as well as others on this Forum. Thanking you all in advance.

Stevo,
It isn't a question of having no one we can trust.
I can't be the only person who has told their partner their requirements only to find that they didn't quite understand what was required and instead of clarifying matters with you they applied their own interpretation of what was required. I am sure it is the face thing - not wanting to admit that their English isn't perfect.
I only wish my Thai was one hundredth as good as my partners English but he wants to be perfect in front of other Thai people.

This is a massive point.

I know I am not the only person who has had issues with their partner when dealing with other Thais.

We had a huge row in Bangkok Bank because Jip appeared to "side" with the imbecile of a clerk who insisted I could register my mobile phone number for online banking via the ATM. I KNEW that you could not do this because I had researched it on the BKB website (which is actually very good/informative).

I was encouraged (by Jip) to follow the girl to the ATM, which I did, and she promptly failed to get the phone number registered.

Apparently, "now will you fcuking believe me" was not the best response I could have chosen to help the mood of the occasion.

Things didn't go well a week earlier when "'we" went in to open my account, I now realise that I am misguided in using the term "we" because it always becomes Farang vs Thai. No good suggesting that I change the missus because I believe the significant majority would act no diiferently to Jip.

Having studied the website I knew exactly what I needed to meet account opening requirements and I printed off the BKB account opening form (which included details such as mobile phone numbers). I also completed an application for online banking.

It was therefore surprising to be told that "Alien can only have account if they have work permit".

I stamped my feet, suggested they looked at their own website and the manager eventually came out and 'agreed' to open the account. My missus saw this as some huge favour and concession to the Falang. My response of "too fcuking right he will" did nothing for Thai/Anglo relations.

I am a tolerant person and particularly so when dealing with Thais in the 'boonies', but, I will not tolerate obstacles being persistently put in my way of getting things done. It was no surprise that the clerk totally ignored my pre-prepared application and completed her own. She also asked Jip for her phone number and ID (totally unnecessary).

I am used to going through such fiascos and the only the fact that I really wanted the BKB account prevented me from walking out.

So, unfortunately we are not all as fluent in Thai as stevo and usually we choose our partners to act as translators. Frankly, they are not capable of performing JUST that role because of their own limitations and the Thai culture of not questioning anyone who wears anything more than a cleaners uniform.

In future I will not use my missus in such situations because it does nothing for relationship harmony (read sex life :redface:) and achieves bugger all. If it is important like legal work I will go to Sebastian - in the unlikely event that I use a Thai lawyer (who cannot speak English) I will pay for a proper translator. I think the guy in Buriram provides one.

For dealing with others such as banks, PEA, local authority etc then either Jip can go alone or I will. In hindsight I would probably have achieved more at BKB being on my own.

In some cases Thai dealing with Thai achieves significantly more than a Falang dealing on his own (unless he has stevos fluency of Thai). A couple of great purchases at Homepro and Thai Watsadu would not have happened if two Thais had not conversed together.

Last edited:
Maybe I should have explained myself a little better and expanded on the word "trust".

Maybe I am just incredibly lucky as my wife, when we address situations together, will get things done and explain to people what we want and when we want it, while at the same time respecting aspects of Thai culture.

We seem to be able to blend the "I know what I am talking about" as CoCo pointed out, having done extensive research on the Internet, and the "please will you do this for us even though you say you cannot".

I find that Thai people in a position of authority actually warm to a farang speaking politely in Thai. I have lost my rag sometimes and it gets one nowhere.

At the same time I fully understand the trials of getting things done with partners that are not as forthright.

WTF1as this thread is already Offtopic2. I'll inquire...
Will your 'will and testament' in Thailand carry full breathe and weight towards any holding, properties and/ or assets in your country of citizenship ?

Meaning, can a will made by a lawyer in Thailand dispose of property held in another country properly towards your named beneficiaries whether those beneficiaries are Thai or from another country ?

A proper and knowledgeable response may be able to assist myself as well as others on this Forum. Thanking you all in advance.

I have one for the Uk and one for Thailand Coffee.

That is the only way to go. But in many cases a Thai will is unnecessary if your only asset is cash deposit and you have a joint account with the wife. If you have money on deposit for a visa extension, then a Thai will is necessary

Every case is different - that is where the advice element comes in.

1. You don't need a Will at all if you are content to rely on the rules of intestacy in the countries that your assets are domiciled.
2. Anyone can write their own Will - there are simple templates.
3. Many people are uncomfortable with doing a Will themselves because of the fear of ballsing it up.
4. A straight forward Will can be arranged by Thai Widows & Expats for 2,000 Baht with 500 Baht for a Thai translation/copy.

We will write more about Wills under our Thai Widows & Expats user name (once I have sorted out the password!).

Wills are a cost effective way of making sure that your assets are distributed the way YOU want them to be.

We can give examples of cases where this did not happen i.e, the UK guy who actually wanted his brother to have his UK assets. He didn't make a Will so upon his death his Thai wife inherited the lot. She was happy - but NOT what he wanted.

As part of the Will service we also advise on what widows need to do to obtain benefits that they may be entitled to i.e. UK Bereavement Payments..

Coffee - a Will has to be acceptable in the country that it needs to be used in. The basic legal wording is simple - the actual content just needs to be understandable. Most estates are simple and distribution of assets straight forward. If an estate is large - or complicated - then you should not be using Thai Widows & Expats or ANY lawyer in Thailand.

Remember as well that you can express your wishes but if you have not (for example) taken due account of the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependents) Act 1975 you may find the Will being challenged. Contrary to popular opinion you cannot just leave everything you have to Battersea Dog's Home.

More information to follow under a separate topic.

Alan - apologies for replying on here but I cocked up the TWE login.

A few sayings I like

If you Pay peanuts you get monkeys .
No body's perfect all the time .
Always cross your T,s and dot your I,s before you start .
You get what you pay for .

Common sence seems like its not so common .

IMO you strike a deal before you start $ if you not happy don't do it , never wait for the cost always do the deal first and get the $ cost of it in writing .

Hey I'm just a builder but it's simple IMO .

A few sayings I like

If you Pay peanuts you get monkeys .
No body's perfect all the time .
Always cross your T,s and dot your I,s before you start .
You get what you pay for .

Common sence seems like its not so common .

IMO you strike a deal before you start $ if you not happy don't do it , never wait for the cost always do the deal first and get the $ cost of it in writing .

Hey I'm just a builder but it's simple IMO .

Cannot argue with what you say Alan.

If a client asks you to build a 2 storey detached house and agrees a price with you, then that is what he should get...........not a bungalow or terraced town house. And I am sure that you will deliver to expectations unlike the person we are discussing here.

Sorry PN.
You probably got involved with a person that utilized the old proverb,
"Monkey see, monkey do. " MonkeyFight

Thanks to all for their contributions. I have found Sebastian of Isaan Lawyers on the net. But can someone tell me the contact details for Mr Chalong please. Thanks - I am still in UK at the moment but will be in Surin later this month.

Thank you 'handyman24u'

Thanks to all for their contributions. I have found Sebastian of Isaan Lawyers on the net. But can someone tell me the contact details for Mr Chalong please. Thanks - I am still in UK at the moment but will be in Surin later this month.

handyman24u, I do not have the details that you seek though I believe AlantheBuilder would have readily available.
Good Luck with your further inquiries.

I just wanted to say Thanks3 to you for posting your Thank You for the replies you received.
That is what the Forum is really about...giving and receiving.

I also would hope that at a later date you will feel free to chime in with your thoughts, opinions, inquiries on other threads and update us as to your experience with the legal options you uncover in Surin.
Again welcome aboard as I believe many active members would have Agreed1 with my post. It's about giving and receiving (IMHO).

Back