Extension of Stay time again.

Thanks kindly for that. So the idea would be to pop into the bank before heading to the Immigration office. Can you get hold of the bank letter and statement at the same time?

For an extension of stay based on retirement, the monthly income method, you will need a minimum income of 65,000 baht a month for every month of the year. You will require a 12-month statement of your account. With Bangkok bank, there is a minimum wait of 5 working days to obtain this statement that is ordered from Bangkok. The cost is 200 baht. The letter, on the other hand (100 baht), can be written while you wait. Prior to obtaining the letter, you must withdraw 100 baht from your account and then update your bankbook. This is to ensure that the balance on the bank book is the same as the balance on the letter. Finally, the balance on the letter will be in £ Sterling converted at the daily rate of exchange to Thail baht. Strange but true.

Of interest, if you have a Bualuang Online Internet account, you can download a statement for the past 6 months. The facility does not go beyond 6 months. A 12-month statement can be obtained by downloading 2 x 6-month statements, one for the 6-month period halfway through the year and the other at the 12-month point. I have done this and it was acceptable to Immigration.

For an extension of stay based on retirement, the monthly income method, you will need a minimum income of 65,000 baht a month for every month of the year. You will require a 12-month statement of your account. With Bangkok bank, there is a minimum wait of 5 working days to obtain this statement that is ordered from Bangkok. The cost is 200 baht. The letter, on the other hand (100 baht), can be written while you wait. Prior to obtaining the letter, you must withdraw 100 baht from your account and then update your bankbook. This is to ensure that the balance on the bank book is the same as the balance on the letter. Finally, the balance on the letter will be in £ Sterling converted at the daily rate of exchange to Thail baht. Strange but true.

Of interest, if you have a Bualuang Online Internet account, you can download a statement for the past 6 months. The facility does not go beyond 6 months. A 12-month statement can be obtained by downloading 2 x 6-month statements, one for the 6-month period halfway through the year and the other at the 12-month point. I have done this and it was acceptable to Immigration.
Thanks for that.

That is the reason I changed from a retirement visa to a married visa, no sense in having to hold ฿800,000 and cant use it.

The ฿800,000.00 is the "nest egg" for my wife when I shuffle off this mortal coil. She will only be entitled to about 25% of half my current pension.

Last edited:
With the monthly income method, you are not required to keep any balance on your account. The year before last, I showed up at Immigration with a letter and a bank book showing 259 baht on my account. No comment was made. :D :D :D

Ferret-The real big minus with being on a "M" instead of a "R" extension of stay,is that you get more hassle from Immigration re they want to do home visits at a moments notice
(like we ll be there in1 hour,be there!)& then after coffee /drinks wan t you to give them monies to cover their expenses for making the visit .

Ferret-The real big minus with being on a "M" instead of a "R" extension of stay,is that you get more hassle from Immigration re they want to do home visits at a moments notice
(like we ll be there in1 hour,be there!)& then after coffee /drinks wan t you to give them monies to cover their expenses for making the visit .

I guess that you still need to go back after 30 days (and maybe another 30 days) to obtain the extension stamp in your passport? And are all the photographs still required?

I guess that you still need to go back after 30 days (and maybe another 30 days) to obtain the extension stamp in your passport? And are all the photographs still required?
No they will not. A extension of marriage is issued from Region 4 Khon Kaen.

I have had a home visit on a retirement extension.

I have had a home visit on a retirement extension.

As have I. But that was a one-off about 5 years ago. The idiots didn't realise that they would need double the staff (and double the money) to effect that requirement. It didn't happen again (at least not to me). And when they visited me it was only one day shy of the 30 days and they asked for nothing and were given nothing besides a bottle of water each. I'm not sure whether my wife slipped the Puyai Baan a few bob for her trouble.

So you receive your 12 month stamp immediately at Kap Cheong/Surin without having to return 30 days later?
NO read my post. You only go one time and if it takes them 6 month they call your wife NOT you.

NO read my post. You only go one time and if it takes them 6 month they call your wife NOT you.

So where and when is the twelve month stamp inserted into your passport?

I read your post.

[Please note I have never applied for a 12 month extension of stay based upon marriage].

Last edited:
On the initial spouse visa extension, I believe they stamp ‘Pending’ or similar on the documents and then call you in about 30 days later to approve the application. During that time they pay a visit to your place of residence. I have also read that they require a Kor ror 2 as well as the original marriage certificate, Kor ror 3. Is it possible to get a Kor ror 2 from the Amphur in Surin before going to the Immigration office. I have the original Marriage certificate from Bangkok 30 years ago but had never heard of a Kor ror 2 until a few years ago when we started thinking about coming back to Thailand permanently.

Back