Guttering

Thanks @Wombat, you are welcome to visit if you have the time @nomad97 has already visited and had some useful advise for me. I am always open to suggestions.

I think "interesting" is a good way to describe it. It certainly couldn't be called pretty.
::wink::

Last edited:
Just a rental, while I try to build my own. https://ecohousethailand.wordpress.com/ Still very much a work in progress.

Nice job. I like it. Here is a Thai style eco friendly we visited outside of Satuek Buriram. The walls are made with mud and straw..20 buildings all on solar and the well is solar. Its a resort and this was about 4 years back.

50592061_2021031267944408_6541081629547298816_n.jpg

50990886_2021031244611077_7792205516972752896_n.jpg

50790023_2021030771277791_8338521435718811648_n.jpg

50593734_2021030784611123_5707637311588532224_n.jpg

51103705_2021031277944407_6660085694326636544_n.jpg

That bed does not look too comfy, I have slept on something similar. Mine was concrete not mud, maybe mud is softer. 555 :p

I did consider using Adobe as it is definitely more environmentally sustainable as well as cheaper, but no where near as thermally efficient as an aerated concrete block cavity wall with foam and foil.

My GF has been very understanding letting me build a crazy farang house, but I think she would draw the line at living in a mud hut.
:Ahhhh:

I did consider using Adobe as it is definitely more environmentally sustainable as well as cheaper, but no where near as thermally efficient as an aerated concrete block cavity wall with foam and foil.

My GF has been very understanding letting me build a crazy farang house, but I think she would draw the line at living in a mud hut.
:Ahhhh:
Very impressed with your house build, and the professionalism in it's build that is very evident in your photo's. Well done. Looking forward to the next entry on your blog.

Thanks @Wombat, you are welcome to visit if you have the time @nomad97 has already visited and had some useful advise for me. I am always open to suggestions.

I think "interesting" is a good way to describe it. It certainly couldn't be called pretty.
::wink::
Thanks BS, I would love to have a look, I believe you may be close by to where I live. Are you building near your current abode? You can PM me some directions if you want.

Yes building near Pong Thai village, about 10 minutes from Robinson
Has there been any Police/Immigration people there lately?
Heard a fairly strong rumor that the infamous ‘Big Joke’ did a raid this week at the Pong Thai in Sisaket!!!

(Drug related, I believe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few weeks ago Immigration called my GF and asked to meet us at Pong Thai - think it was a random check, but they did ask to speak to the manager about me, wanting to know some background info. Think they decided I was too boring to be of interest to them.

A few weeks ago Immigration called my GF and asked to meet us at Pong Thai - think it was a random check, but they did ask to speak to the manager about me, wanting to know some background info. Think they decided I was too boring to be of interest to them.
It was relating to the owners. I met the rich old battle-axe & daughter and didn’t trust them either.
We will see what happens(if anything). Police are supposed to be investigation all their ‘assets’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a rental, while I try to build my own. https://ecohousethailand.wordpress.com/ Still very much a work in progress.

One word, Bander - WOW!
I just saw this post today. Three stories in Isaan !

Obviously you have some previous expertise with project management (and I can only surmise with construction).

Might I inquire what your finished budget on this construction including plumbing with bathroom fixtures and electric (HVAC) will be after painting.
(Please consider furnishings and specialized kitchen equipment an additional cost , not required here.)

Seriously Mod, please get this out of gutters and into it's proper topic section as an OP...(but please let Bander know exactly where so he can continue the update). Thanking you in advance.

Hi @Coffee, thank you for your kind words. I have not posted about this build before, because I didn't think it would be of interest to anyone else, being such an individual design. I only posted here in guttering, because @nomad97 wanted to know why I was buying guttering for my rented house!

I will try to answer your questions as succinctly as I can:
Project Management experience: yes
Building Experience: No - just a few renovations over the years

Prior to coming to Surin, I was Chairman of the building committee of a 340 unit condo tower in Pattaya. The building was extremely poorly built and we spent a great deal of time and money trying to fix it. I learnt a lot about how not to build in Thailand. At the same time I was researching building techniques for my own build.

Budget: I did not have an exact budget when I started, because I was still sourcing material prices as the build has gone on, but I expect the house will cost far less than the condo I sold in Pattaya.

At each stage of the build I discuss with the builder what I want him to do next, how I want him to do it, and what materials will to be used. He then gives me a price and we compare that to the price that I had calculated on my spreadsheet.

Currently as the building stands now, when the render is finished, all doors and windows in, I will have spent a little over 2 million.
Having said that the building is far from finished and is turning into a bit of hobby project.

As for it being 3 stories, I see it as 2 stories with an open vented attic space :)

Thought I would post some pictures of my guttering in the guttering thread.

If you read my Build Design Criteria: https://ecohousethailand.wordpress.com/design-criteria/ you will see function is more important to me than form. So my guttering is industrial in design. All the plastic guttering I have seen does not seem capable of dealing with a tropical monsoon. So I commissioned mine to be over-sized and made out of high grade stainless steel to feed into my rainwater harvesting system.
352sVEM.jpg

BGp1T6S.jpg

1HlH1RZ.jpg

@Bandersnatch , if The Alamo was fortified the same as your building project Americans would've never had a call to remember it.

I can't wait to see your perimeter defensive capability once your fortress is completed.
I don't recall your Tambon being in such a tough neighborhood...or are your family out-laws that tough ? :D

Hi @Coffee - You have to make your way through 2 steel doors to gain access to the main block, then there is another steel door at the top of the stairs to the second floor and another at the top of the stairs to the third floor - where I would make my last stand, or more likely take the rope ladder to the ground and run away.

https://ecohousethailand.wordpress.com/retaining-wall/ records the story of the perimeter defenses with the option to add an electric fence on top.

Where the house is pretty sleepy really, but that could all change if there is a zombie apocalypse ;;horror;;

A great project Bandersnatch! Congrats.

Though not pertinent to multi-storey constructions, I'd like to see some straw (rice straw specifically) used in this part of Thailand. This: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/727223-straw-bales/ is an interesting read. Given the volume of rice straw available here, and the subject of smoke pollution, as well as the obvious insulation benefits of straw bales as building material, it must have greater scope for ecological building projects if not mainstream housing too.

Back