HMPO, Liverpool

Perseverance and patience can overcome the most obstinate examples of procrastination, when 'they' hope you will give up and just go away. Keep at it Yorky; don't let the bastards get away with it.

It is not in Thai people's nature to confront those who try to cheat. As a relatively minor example, I'd purchased a laptop in Surin a few years ago. Whenever I needed anything, I'd go to the same place and, over time, became a regular customer. Nevertheless, there were occasional problems: When the laptop crashed once, and I had lost my data (yes, backup regularly, but do we?) I asked if they could recover the vital bits. While doing so, they upgraded the OS, which was good, except that every 6 months or so a message on the screen would tell me that Windows needed to be activated with a licence number. What licence number? Back to the shop and they sorted it - until the same message appeared 6 months later, and again, and again. Then my emails ceased to work, so they fixed that too. I needed a new printer, and bought one from them with an ink tank to save needing to buy new cartridges every month. All good stuff, except that I couldn't get to the bottom of the irritating message that repeated itself about the Windows activation. A year went by, and the printer ceased to work. I found out that the pipe carrying one of the coloured inks was blocked by some kind of sludge. Back to the shop again, with the 3 ink bottles provided by them - 2 being HP, but one being something else, and that was the colour that was blocked. They said I needed a new print head, and they quoted 1200 baht to replace and fit it. I went to collect the repair job, and they demanded 1700baht instead. "Made a mistake" they told my other half. Hmmmm. I wanted to argue, but she said no...

I went back to the shop a few months ago and they upgraded my MS Outlook program which contains around 10,000 emails. Many hours later, we were still in the shop waiting for the download of my date being reinstalled. At 6pm they announced that they were closing. I needed to work that evening, so went home with the laptop and was due to return the next day. However, the temptation to reboot was too strong to resist, and I found that I could still send emails though the saved ones were missing. I fiddled with it and found that they were installed, and just needed some more fiddling to read them. It was working well enough for me not to go back. Then I noticed that Word was absent. I also noticed that Excel files sent to me wouldn't open either. I found some freeware that sorted that out, temporarily. Something else went wrong so I decided enough was enough and returned to the shop. Herself translated my demands, and we returned to collect the laptop a couple of hours later with them having re-installed MS Office - but my Microsoft password was needed to operate it. What password??? I hadn't needed it previously. Come back tomorrow they said. And tried to charge a 275 service fee. They were told they could stick that where the sun doesn't shine. Every problem since day one had been due to their errors - some service!!! They wanted me to pay, but I still refused, with herself becoming anxious as a result. I stuck to it, said I'd welcome the police to come as I was the victim of data theft, or something. After a few minutes they called the senior guy who wasn't there that day (eh??? he was hiding!) and as nice as pie he accepted that they were at fault, smiled, and off we went. It still took a couple of hours at home while I puzzled how to find the missing password...

They had been warned that if they wasted any more of my time, I'd charge them 1000 baht an hour for it. That was when the 'manager' came. I think that my wife is now over the shock of them conceding defeat. Persevere - it can work.

Two emails overnight:

"Thank you for your email regarding a passport application.
Your email was forwarded to the Resolutions Team to chase up your appeal regarding the complaint you have submitted previously.
Please note that your case is not assigned to an individual representative within the Customer Service Email Team."

and, obviously not from the same representative:

"Thank you for your recent query.
I have forwarded your query to our Resolutions Team who will contact you directly in due course.
This is a no-reply mailbox, for any further information please visit www.gov.uk/hm-passport-office or call +44 (0)300 222 0000, Text Relay Prefix 18001
Kind Regards,
J Simpkin
Customer Service Management Team
His Majesty's Passport Office"

Perseverance and patience can overcome the most obstinate examples of procrastination, when 'they' hope you will give up and just go away. Keep at it Yorky; don't let the bastards get away with it.

It is not in Thai people's nature to confront those who try to cheat. As a relatively minor example, I'd purchased a laptop in Surin a few years ago. Whenever I needed anything, I'd go to the same place and, over time, became a regular customer. Nevertheless, there were occasional problems: When the laptop crashed once, and I had lost my data (yes, backup regularly, but do we?) I asked if they could recover the vital bits. While doing so, they upgraded the OS, which was good, except that every 6 months or so a message on the screen would tell me that Windows needed to be activated with a licence number. What licence number? Back to the shop and they sorted it - until the same message appeared 6 months later, and again, and again. Then my emails ceased to work, so they fixed that too. I needed a new printer, and bought one from them with an ink tank to save needing to buy new cartridges every month. All good stuff, except that I couldn't get to the bottom of the irritating message that repeated itself about the Windows activation. A year went by, and the printer ceased to work. I found out that the pipe carrying one of the coloured inks was blocked by some kind of sludge. Back to the shop again, with the 3 ink bottles provided by them - 2 being HP, but one being something else, and that was the colour that was blocked. They said I needed a new print head, and they quoted 1200 baht to replace and fit it. I went to collect the repair job, and they demanded 1700baht instead. "Made a mistake" they told my other half. Hmmmm. I wanted to argue, but she said no...

I went back to the shop a few months ago and they upgraded my MS Outlook program which contains around 10,000 emails. Many hours later, we were still in the shop waiting for the download of my date being reinstalled. At 6pm they announced that they were closing. I needed to work that evening, so went home with the laptop and was due to return the next day. However, the temptation to reboot was too strong to resist, and I found that I could still send emails though the saved ones were missing. I fiddled with it and found that they were installed, and just needed some more fiddling to read them. It was working well enough for me not to go back. Then I noticed that Word was absent. I also noticed that Excel files sent to me wouldn't open either. I found some freeware that sorted that out, temporarily. Something else went wrong so I decided enough was enough and returned to the shop. Herself translated my demands, and we returned to collect the laptop a couple of hours later with them having re-installed MS Office - but my Microsoft password was needed to operate it. What password??? I hadn't needed it previously. Come back tomorrow they said. And tried to charge a 275 service fee. They were told they could stick that where the sun doesn't shine. Every problem since day one had been due to their errors - some service!!! They wanted me to pay, but I still refused, with herself becoming anxious as a result. I stuck to it, said I'd welcome the police to come as I was the victim of data theft, or something. After a few minutes they called the senior guy who wasn't there that day (eh??? he was hiding!) and as nice as pie he accepted that they were at fault, smiled, and off we went. It still took a couple of hours at home while I puzzled how to find the missing password...

They had been warned that if they wasted any more of my time, I'd charge them 1000 baht an hour for it. That was when the 'manager' came. I think that my wife is now over the shock of them conceding defeat. Persevere - it can work.
Perseverance invariably pays.

My problems with Royal Bank of Scotland have also been resolved. They were insisting a widow obtained a Thai passport for ID purposes, 2 months after their original requests for ID were fully met. I have beeen complaining since October last with letters and emails to all and sundry including the CGM. all going unanswered. Finally contacted the Ombudsman (who has done nothing yet) and advised RBS that I had doe so. Yesterday they released the money without comment. Once I receive the closing statement I will be back seeking compensation...with the help of the ombudsman :)

Never give up, if you know you are correct!

Similarly the Ulster Bank (part of Nat West) have insisted on separate probate for an account held at their Dublin branch, because they say they cannot accept UK probate. They could do what they want and say no probate needed at all.....especially as this month they are pulling out or the Republic of Ireland altogether. For 6 months I have persevered. They still insist on probate, but have agreed to foot the bill at €2000 + 23% VAT :)

Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes. I know this has become a challenge for you. But you must understand by now they don't give a shit. The days of consequence is well and truly over. You will never find anybody responsible.

The whole episode may be resolved by VFS/VAC sending the replacement passport plus my previous passport (already cancelled) to me by courier; a cost of less than ฿100.00. First they said they couldn't (which is ridiculous), then they said they woudn't; but they have never given a reason for either. The situation is just nonsense.

Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes. I know this has become a challenge for you. But you must understand by now they don't give a shit. The days of consequence is well and truly over. You will never find anybody responsible.

HMPO Contacts since March 2022:

Mr J Day (2 responses)
HM Passport Office Operations
Her Majesty's Passport Office

G Duffy

K McMurray (2 responses)
Her Majesty’s Passport Office

P Cheal

N. Roberts (the most sensible and helpful of the lot of them)

Miss G Gaunt (5 response)
Passport Examiner

John Gregory (3 responses)
Liverpool International Team 8
Passports, Citizenships & Civil Registration
Visas, Information and Passports, Customer Services

With the exception of John Gregory, since early October 2022, the mail addresses (which belonged to the aforementioned) has been closed down – “This mailbox is no longer in use, and your email has not been forwarded. For contact information regarding a new or closed complaint, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line”.

I have been contacted by others including:

A Condron
His Majesty's Passport Office

J Simpkin
His Majesty's Passport Office

Mark
Complaints Team
His Majesty’s Passport Office

Although each from “noreply” email addresses

Other than those, all emails have only been signed as “His Majesty’s Passport Office”.

I completed the IEC online complaint form yesterday and sent it off.

See what happens in a few months.

I have concluded that had HMPO and VFS/VAC not spent 11 months procrastinating and prevaricating on this simple matter then maybe the staff would have had more time to minimise the delay in issuing standard passports thereby reducing the backlog!

Have I got the story right so far. Your passport that was replaced due to an error is waiting for pickup at VFS Bangkok. But you want costs first to collect it. But you only have so much time left to collect it, before they send it back. Or did you indeed collect it and now trying to recover your costs. Sorry I lost track.

Have I got the story right so far. Your passport that was replaced due to an error is waiting for pickup at VFS Bangkok. But you want costs first to collect it. But you only have so much time left to collect it, before they send it back. Or did you indeed collect it and now trying to recover your costs. Sorry I lost track.
Don't worry, @Yorky is going for the record, the longest-running thread on SurinFarang.com.

FYI, I don't think he has collected the passport yet and he is rapidly running out of time to do so before it is returned to the UK. By my reckoning, the deadline is the 7th of February.

Ref: https://surinfarang.com/forum/threads/hmpo-liverpool.32150/post-379846: "VFS/VAC are still threatening to return the replacement passport to HMPO Liverpool by 7th February 2023"

The replacement passport, and the original cancelled passport, are still in VFS/VAC, Bangkok awaiting collection/delivery. VFS/VAC, Bangkok have threatened to return it (or them) to HMPO, Liverpool on or around 8th February 2023 (rather than spend <฿100.00 to send them to me). What happens to the passport(s) after that, I've no idea.

Don't worry, @Yorky is going for the record, the longest-running thread on SurinFarang.com.

I don't think he has collected the passport yet and is rapidly running out of time to do so before it is returned to the UK.

See: https://surinfarang.com/forum/threads/hmpo-liverpool.32150/post-379846

P.S. @Yorky and I replied at the same time.

@Yorkie's next thread is entitled, "How I was deported from Thailand for not having a valid passport".

Well, the passport that I hold at present (and have done for the last 3 years plus), has passed scrutiny by Thai Immigration, the Kasikorn Bank, and Rhumpaet Hospital, albeit with a little verbal explanation, so I cannot see that happening in the near future. However...................

And if you quote a member using @ before the member's name, you must spell the member's name correctly. Or were you once employed by Her Majesty's Passport Office?

Well, the passport that I hold at present (and have done for the last 3 years plus), has passed scrutiny by Thai Immigration, the Kasikorn Bank, and Rhumpaet Hospital, albeit with a little verbal explanation, so I cannot see that happening in the near future. However...................

And if you quote a member using @ before the member's name, you must spell the member's name correctly. Or were you once employed by Her Majesty's Passport Office?
You have been very lucky to be granted descetion so far. That is. I am still of the opinion you may win a stupid prize. Anyway I admire your tenacity.
As they say in Thailand "Up to you".

You have been very lucky to be granted descetion so far. That is. I am still of the opinion you may win a stupid prize. Anyway I admire your tenacity.
As they say in Thailand "Up to you".

I wouldn't say "very" lucky. Most Thai folks that I've dealt with (up to now) wouldn't know the difference between two fs and one f.

And, don't forget, @Ivor the Engine still walks around Thailand with a passport that says that he's female!

I don't think he has collected the passport yet and is rapidly running out of time to do so before it is returned to the UK.

I have asked the HMPO help line (a definite misnomer if ever I've heard one) what will happen to the passport(s) if VFS/VAC return them to HMPO, Liverpool? Their answer: you'll need to ask VFS/VAC, Bangkok that?

slap head.gif

Back