HMPO, Liverpool

My point is that you accepted the passport as being correct for what period of time...more than a year ?
Did you utilize the passport for any official business...(of course).

Sure HMPO accepts responsibility. I'm surprised they do not request the receiver to thoroughly check that the information is indeed correct prior to signing ones name on the dotted line.

Good luck moving forward on your reimbursements/ compensation or whatever.

Cheers - happy hour. :)

So had the receiver checked the passport and discovered that it was not correct, what would have happened then? I'm not aware that there was a dotted line to sign on anyway. Maybe in those days there was a different set of morons working for the British government?

Both HMPO, Liverpool and VFS/VAC, Bangkok are supposed to have Quality Assurance/Control. I, nor my agent (as far as I know), do not.

So had the receiver checked the passport and discovered that it was not correct, what would have happened then? I'm not aware that there was a dotted line to sign on anyway. Maybe in those days there was a different set of morons working for the British government?

Both HMPO, Liverpool and VFS/VAC, Bangkok are supposed to have Quality Assurance/Control. I, nor my agent (as far as I know), do not.

For information, there has been no intimation of a Statute of Limitations on the maximum time after the issue of a passport that a fault needs to be discovered given by the 20 plus employees of HMPO who have responded to my complaints. Perhaps you know different?

Did you utilize the passport for any official business...(of course).

If you look back through the thread you will see that the fault was discovered when utilising the passport as a document for official business.

"Dear Mr Yorky,

Thank you for your email enquiry regarding your complaint.
I can confirm that I have passed your most recent email to the relevant team dealing with your complaint.
You should receive further contact within the next 10 working days.

Regards,
His Majesty’s Passport Office"

Doesn't inspire me with confidence that the "complaints department" of HMPO is so overloaded that it takes them two weeks to respond.

To: me

I have forwarded your email to team and waiting for the update and please be informed that there will be the staff from the HMPO complaints team will contact you in due course.

We will hold your passport at our office whilst we waiting for the further update.

Signed by HMPO Officer.

[Another "rule" broken]

I have forwarded your email to team and waiting for the update and please be informed that there will be the staff from the HMPO complaints team will contact you in due course.

We will hold your passport at our office whilst we waiting for the further update.

Signed by HMPO Officer.
WOW! Finally getting somewhere.

Signed by HMPO Officer.

[Another "rule" broken]
To be fair you asked them to break the rule.

Just need to get them to break one more rule and courier the passport.

"to help, Bangkok, Liverpool, Consular, Justin 5:41 PM 14th February 2023.

Dear Sirs,
I refer to the email to me from

<noreplyCSMT@hmpo.gov.uk>

on 31st January 2023 viz: "After reviewing the receipt you enclosed, I have authorised the following refunds:
  • £7.37 (300.00 Thai Baht) for your postage costs
  • £2.95 for your taxi fare
Please note the above amounts are based on today’s exchange rate, as we are unable to process payments in foreign currency.
Our finance department will be in touch with you directly to arrange your total refund of £10.32."

I have heard nothing since. Please advise.

Regards

"help@customerservice.hmpo.gov.uk 6:08 PM
to me, bangkokhmpo, consular.replies, justin.madders.mp, liverpoolinternationalteam8

Dear Mr Yorky,
Thank you for your email regarding your complaint.
I am sorry to hear the passport office has not replied to you, I have passed your email on to the Passport Office again for a reply. They will contact you within 15 working days.

Regards,

15 working days from today is almost exactly one year since I first notified HMPO, UK of the fault in the passport that they issued.

To help, Liverpool, Bangkok, Consular, Justin. 3:21 PM 15:02:2023.

Ref: POGR/0531447/23

Dear Sirs,

I have today received an email from your Mr. M. Thomas of HMPO Complaints team which addresses the above reference complaint.

“I can confirm your new passport and documents are waiting to be collected from the VAC and we have requested for these to remain there until this matter is resolved. This has been confirmed by VFS.

In order for the agent to collect your passport and documents they will need to bring the following:
  • A written and signed letter from yourself giving approval for the named third party to make the collection.
  • The third party must also provide original photographic ID e.g. passport, photographic driving license or equivalent for themselves to allow the Local Service Provider to confirm that the person present is the named third party as stated in your letter.
  • The previous passport that was issued with an error
I understand you have been instructed to return the previous passport to HMPO Liverpool Office however if you have not done so already, please provide this to the third party and once the new passport is collected, the VAC will return it to us on your behalf.”

Initially I would point out that the email makes no mention of reimbursement of my costs in arranging for the passports to be collected.

I have agreed to provide a signed letter from myself to an agent giving approval to make the collection. I shall also instruct the agent to have original identification documents to prove that he or she is the party named in the letter.

However, what the agent will not have is the original of the passport with the error. Since August 2022 I have stated this on numerous occasions. You are correct that I have been instructed to return the original passport to HMPO, Liverpool and I agreed to do this within three months of receipt of the replacement passport (HMPO OS8 letter of 30th December 2022 reference 5107077387). That instruction made no mention of any involvement of VFS/VAC, Bangkok in the procedure. You may remember that VFS/VAC were a party at fault in issuing the incorrectly prepared passport and, as such, I have requested that they send a scanned copy of the replacement passport to me (which they have yet to do).

As you should be aware, Thai law requires me to be in possession of a valid passport at all times. Also, my passport is required for any dealings I have with my bank or a need to visit a hospital. To courier the passport to an agent in Bangkok would mean that I am not in possession of my passport and also the document is at risk of loss resulting in me not having a passport at all.

To conclude, I am perfectly agreeable to returning the original incorrectly prepared passport to HMPO, Liverpool for cancellation but only after I have personally received the replacement passport (and I have had the Thai Immigration information transferred). How the replacement passport reaches me should be the responsibility of HMPO whether Liverpool or Bangkok. It was a simple solution for HMPO, Liverpool to courier it direct to me (as I requested on a number of occasions) but they refused. It is still now a simple solution (and at minimal cost) for VFS/VAC, Bangkok to courier it direct to me. If requested, I shall authorise them in writing to do so.

I trust that this will enable you to issue the required instructions to ensure that in future I have a correctly prepared passport and this long overdue matter may finally be brought to a conclusion.

Regards

To help, Liverpool, Bangkok, Consular, Justin. 3:21 PM 15:02:2023.

Ref: POGR/0531447/23

Dear Sirs,

I have today received an email from your Mr. M. Thomas of HMPO Complaints team which addresses the above reference complaint.

“I can confirm your new passport and documents are waiting to be collected from the VAC and we have requested for these to remain there until this matter is resolved. This has been confirmed by VFS.

In order for the agent to collect your passport and documents they will need to bring the following:
  • A written and signed letter from yourself giving approval for the named third party to make the collection.
  • The third party must also provide original photographic ID e.g. passport, photographic driving license or equivalent for themselves to allow the Local Service Provider to confirm that the person present is the named third party as stated in your letter.
  • The previous passport that was issued with an error
I understand you have been instructed to return the previous passport to HMPO Liverpool Office however if you have not done so already, please provide this to the third party and once the new passport is collected, the VAC will return it to us on your behalf.”

Initially I would point out that the email makes no mention of reimbursement of my costs in arranging for the passports to be collected.

I have agreed to provide a signed letter from myself to an agent giving approval to make the collection. I shall also instruct the agent to have original identification documents to prove that he or she is the party named in the letter.

However, what the agent will not have is the original of the passport with the error. Since August 2022 I have stated this on numerous occasions. You are correct that I have been instructed to return the original passport to HMPO, Liverpool and I agreed to do this within three months of receipt of the replacement passport (HMPO OS8 letter of 30th December 2022 reference 5107077387). That instruction made no mention of any involvement of VFS/VAC, Bangkok in the procedure. You may remember that VFS/VAC were a party at fault in issuing the incorrectly prepared passport and, as such, I have requested that they send a scanned copy of the replacement passport to me (which they have yet to do).

As you should be aware, Thai law requires me to be in possession of a valid passport at all times. Also, my passport is required for any dealings I have with my bank or a need to visit a hospital. To courier the passport to an agent in Bangkok would mean that I am not in possession of my passport and also the document is at risk of loss resulting in me not having a passport at all.

To conclude, I am perfectly agreeable to returning the original incorrectly prepared passport to HMPO, Liverpool for cancellation but only after I have personally received the replacement passport (and I have had the Thai Immigration information transferred). How the replacement passport reaches me should be the responsibility of HMPO whether Liverpool or Bangkok. It was a simple solution for HMPO, Liverpool to courier it direct to me (as I requested on a number of occasions) but they refused. It is still now a simple solution (and at minimal cost) for VFS/VAC, Bangkok to courier it direct to me. If requested, I shall authorise them in writing to do so.

I trust that this will enable you to issue the required instructions to ensure that in future I have a correctly prepared passport and this long overdue matter may finally be brought to a conclusion.

Regards

I also sent the same email (plus a little history) to https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line and received the following from help@customerservice.hmpo.gov.uk at 3:57 PM today:

Dear Mr Yorky
Thank you for your email about your complaint.
I have passed your email onto the office, they will contact you as soon as possible.
Regards,
His Majesty’s Passport Office

At least they are consistent.

"Your complaint has been logged under a new reference POGR/0530977/23 and has been passed to our investigation team for review.

We aim to respond to complaints with an estimated timescale of 10 working days. However, we are currently experiencing a high volume of contact and therefore our response to your complaint may take longer than usual.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience at this time. We will respond to you as soon as possible.

Please do not reply to this email as this is a no-reply mailbox and emails are not monitored.

Complaints Team

"high volume of contact"? From a complaints team?

This farce is definitely going to surpass the 12 months!

"to help, Bangkok, Liverpool, Consular, Justin 5:41 PM 14th February 2023.

Dear Sirs,
I refer to the email to me from

<noreplyCSMT@hmpo.gov.uk>

on 31st January 2023 viz: "After reviewing the receipt you enclosed, I have authorised the following refunds:
  • £7.37 (300.00 Thai Baht) for your postage costs
  • £2.95 for your taxi fare
Please note the above amounts are based on today’s exchange rate, as we are unable to process payments in foreign currency.
Our finance department will be in touch with you directly to arrange your total refund of £10.32."

I have heard nothing since. Please advise.

Regards

me to help, Bangkok, Liverpool, Consular, Justin 23rd February 2023 7:47 PM.

A reminder. This doesn't bode well for my (potential) next request for reimbursement of an amount of 15 times that amount when the time comes to have my replacement passport collected (if ever).

Regards,

Back