Lunch on mothers day

Prakhonchai Nick

You chose a custom title
This morning I was in Robinsons, at store opening, as the kids wanted to watch a movie. In anticipation of the end of the film, I started to browse the ground floor restaurants.

At 11.30am all but one were full, with queues forming outside. The exception was Jeffer Steak. It seems the bad reports expressed on the "other " forum, may well have become known amongst the Thais in Surin.

Not wishing to queue or dine in a noisy atmosphere, we wended our way out of Surin on the Buriram Road.

Just before the outskirts on Luk Muang Road, we happened upon Good Hope Steak and Vietnamese.

We had a great meal there -not busy but not empty. Very good service, excellent food, and not overly expensive.

Highly recommended.

The Good Hope is a good place. Perhaps you were not aware, Nick, that it was Sydney Seasons until the new one opened opposite Ruamphaet Hospital.

Very little has changed there, just the addition of one or two Vietnamese dishes, and the place is run by family of the Sydney Seasons owners.

Very good salads to accompany your main dishes.

I lunched in Jeffers a few weeks ago with the grandson. Nothing special. I agree it is the only place that seems relatively empty on a regular basis.

The Good Hope is a good place. Perhaps you were not aware, Nick, that it was Sydney Seasons until the new one opened opposite Ruamphaet Hospital.

Very little has changed there, just the addition of one or two Vietnamese dishes, and the place is run by family of the Sydney Seasons owners.

I lunched in Jeffers a few weeks ago with the grandson. Nothing special. I agree it is the only place that seems relatively empty on a regular basis.

A few pics

a.jpgb.jpgc.jpg

We ate in Jeffers not long after Robinsons opened.
It was terrible.
Cheap, but the chicken I chose was like it had been reformed, haven't been since.

It was terrible.
Cheap, but the chicken I chose was like it had been reformed, haven't been since.

We had exactly the same experience with pork steaks. Texture like reconstituted off-cuts, soft and flabby. We haven't returned for a second helping as you only have once chance of making a first impression.

We were similarly unimpressed by our first (and probably last) visit to Jeffer Steak, not long after the grand opening.

Glad to see that you took the lovely Dow for a special Mothers' Day seafood lunch, Nick.

I heard recently that Good Hope is just Sydney Seasons under the new name and now owned/run/managed by her brother I think it was.

It was terrible.

The wife and myself also went to Jeffer steak not long after it opened.
I totally agree Colin, shite food and piss poor service.
I mean, how can you serve cold, burnt french fries ?.

There is one really good restaurant in the Robinson's Mall. I can never remember the name of it but they have great food, nice set up, good friendly staff. It has these copper pull down vents and a grill in the tables. Great tasting and tender beef, good seafoods, etc. It's not cheap, but worth every satang. They also do a nice sushi plate for like 100 baht or so for a dozen different sushis with wasabi sauce that goes great with your shared bottle of wine. :)

What's the name of that place? Best place in Robinson's by far.

p.s. Had a burger at Jeffer's soon after it had opened. Don't bother.

There is one really good restaurant in the Robinson's Mall. I can never remember the name of it but they have great food, nice set up, good friendly staff. It has these copper pull down vents and a grill in the tables. Great tasting and tender beef, good seafoods, etc. It's not cheap, but worth every satang. They also do a nice sushi plate for like 100 baht or so for a dozen different sushis with wasabi sauce that goes great with your shared bottle of wine. :)

What's the name of that place? Best place in Robinson's by far.

p.s. Had a burger at Jeffer's soon after it had opened. Don't bother.

I know which one you are talking about. "Sukishi" is its name. That is the one with the good steak dishes you talked about before. It is excellent.

Last edited:
although...

...there is a Su-ki-shi in the mall.

Sa-bu-shi is the restaurant nearest to West side of mall with dishes on conveyor for putting in hot pot.

Su-ki-shi is 50 metres east without conveyor system.

Sukishi Korean Charcoal Grill is the one Cent is talking about near the center of the mall. I agree. It is very good.
http://www.sukishigroup.com/sukishi-charcoal-grill/

This is it. Best restaurant by far in the Robinson's complex. In my humble opinion. You get what you pay for. There are a couple others that are decent and cheaper, but Sukishi stands head and shoulders above them all.

The one problem for all the places in Robinson's is they will not sell alcohol between 2 and 5 p.m. Absurd, but true.

This is it. Best restaurant by far in the Robinson's complex. In my humble opinion. You get what you pay for. There are a couple others that are decent and cheaper, but Sukishi stands head and shoulders above them all.

The one problem for all the places in Robinson's is they will not sell alcohol between 2 and 5 p.m. Absurd, but true.

Agree about Sukishi.

Tummour is also very good if you like Thai/Isan food.

I did manage to get a beer at Jeffers after 2pm the first time I tried it. The waiter said he could do it if he poured it into a plastic cup in the kitchen. That was the only good thing about the meal.

Agree about Sukishi.

Tummour is also very good if you like Thai/Isan food.

I did manage to get a beer at Jeffers after 2pm the first time I tried it. The waiter said he could do it if he poured it into a plastic cup in the kitchen. That was the only good thing about the meal.

It comes to something John when the highlight of a meal is a plastic cup! :smile:

I imagine that drinking in the afternoon was habit you acquired whilst teaching in the Algarve ? Chokdee5

I was a Head Teacher, Coco. A few drinks and a round of golf were afternoon pastimes I learned about from Bank Managers.

Yes, Jeffers was pretty dire. I went there more recently with my two year old grandson. I chose it as everywhere else was full and they had plenty of space. To be fair they did make a fuss of the little boy bringing a special spoon and bowl etc.

So, the list of Jeffers highlights grows...plastic cup, baby spoon, small bowl.....

Back