New DIY Super Stores

There are no Carrefour in Thailand. Big C bought them out over a year ago and there never has been a Carrefour in the Surin area.

Yes indeed and realise this. We used to use Carrefour a lot and I guess the name is stuck in the old grey matter ...........

Up date on IQ Modern Trade and other home stores ...................... As Alan said, the deal with DoHome may or may not go ahead. Stumbling block is the price and the second IQ store in Buriram. However, and this will shock you, IQ has sold the land behind and adjacent to the present site and it is hotly rumoured that Robinson's intend to open a store on this site within the next couple of years.

Secondly, Global House will open it's doors next month, September, for initial trading. The full opening is still scheduled for October and there should be some special offers to be had.

Thanks for the updated info .
Great news about Robisons .
Global house seems to be a long ways off there building at high speed over there .

Robinson is, of course, another element of the Central Group, along with Tops and Big C, Watsons, you name it. The Central Group is a family-owned business, with the family led by Samrit Chirathivat now richer than the Thaksin family. Worth a look at Wikipedia.

The Central Group is a family-owned business, with the family led by Samrit Chirathivat now richer than the Thaksin family. Worth a look at Wikipedia.

Close there AB, Samrit Chirathivat died some years ago and his widow Wanida took over the wealth with sons, daughters and family members all in top slots. Correct they are above the Shinawatra family on the Thai rich list. I hope Central continue to prosper as they are our biggest customer for meat products.

Close there AB, Samrit Chirathivat died some years ago and his widow Wanida took over the wealth with sons, daughters and family members all in top slots. Correct they are above the Shinawatra family on the Thai rich list. I hope Central continue to prosper as they are our biggest customer for meat products.

and people thank that Thai Watsadu across the street is doomed. I don't think so.

Stop press!

Global House is up and running already. Maybe it has been open for a few days but as of today I can confirm that the store is fully operational and fully stocked, and I mean as in stocked wall-to-wall. Some interesting new items in the store, especially large BBQ sets and big screen TVs, and prices look very reasonable. Well worth a look around. Happy shopping!

As an ex professional supplier I must say I did not think they would be up and running as quickly as this. About 4 weeks ago the place was adding racking to accommodate the goods and now it is fully stocked an operational - complete with computer systems for stock control and accounting. When I think how long it would have taken to fully stock, take inventory and start issuing in the military I am really impressed. And, for the connoisseur out there, the eye candy is just lovely. That will make you get your running shoes on!

I was talking the lady I know in IQ she says The new big store has had a small in-packed on IQ she also said about 10 of there workers have left and gone to work over there. I laughed and said you still have to many :) also I asked about the Robinson,s plaza she said she never heard anything about that . She's on the button as to what's going on, also there was no land for sale near IQ to build such a plaza.

Last edited:
Atb. I thought the land opposite IQ where the Market is every week is for sale????

Back