UK Pensions

I will agree that your pension is paid every 4 weeks, or 28 days, but not on different days each month.

Yes, different dates but the same day of the week. I am neither directly informed of the date payment is made nor when it arrives in my bank, although it will appear on a statement if I request same.

'Bump' - this is to create a new post which will be visible to a member with a problem. (See thread: 'Problems with the website')

I had a discussion with Merlin earlier today,as I couldn t understand why this UK Tread wasn t still showing as it might affect people badly because a change in the pyt date,might
affect their International standing order & cause their a/c to go into overdraft & incur massive Bnk/charges for unarranged over drafts.
My DWP monies in Jan came into my NWB a/c on the 14th,so Feb s pyt date should therefore be the 11th.(Have to wait to recve my SOA in a few days time to check).
NB So if you go back to Nomad s earlier post,if you recve a DWP pyt ev 28 dys whre he says "BUT not on different days each month" is not correct.

Why don't the DWP just pay everybody on a Wednesday, a day unlikely to be a public holiday except for Christmas/New Year when manual exceptions may be effected?

What happens on a leap year? I can't remember that I noticed.

Last edited:
I would not recommend you go down that route with the DWP, Yorky

I shall not be going down any route with DWP as it is really irrelevant to me what day the payment is made. However, I may be approaching their subsidiary, the PPF, in the near future as part of a joint petition for equality.

I had a discussion with Merlin earlier today,as I couldn t understand why this UK Tread wasn t still showing as it might affect people badly because a change in the pyt date,might
affect their International standing order & cause their a/c to go into overdraft & incur massive Bnk/charges for unarranged over drafts.
My DWP monies in Jan came into my NWB a/c on the 14th,so Feb s pyt date should therefore be the 11th.(Have to wait to recve my SOA in a few days time to check).
NB So if you go back to Nomad s earlier post,if you recve a DWP pyt ev 28 dys whre he says "BUT not on different days each month" is not correct.
I disagree. @Yorky said it arrived on different days each month. I said, I will agree that your pension is paid every 4 weeks, or 28 days, but not on different days each month. If you check your calendar, every 28 days falls on the same day as the previous month. The date will change each month except for February/March in non-Leap years.

Last edited:
Why don't the DWP just pay everybody on a Wednesday, a day unlikely to be a public holiday except for Christmas/New Year when manual exceptions may be effected?

What happens on a leap year? I can't remember that I noticed.

British OAP's receive their State Pension on a 28 day cycle as you know, so 13 payments are made every year to the majority (though some others choose to receive payments every 14 days) and no payments are made on Saturdays or Sundays or Bank Holidays. While Wednesdays are days that are BHs only on Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year's Day, it would be impractical to have an expensive automated system restricted to operating just one day a week, even if it had the capacity to process millions of transactions on Wednesdays alone.

In those circumstances, imagine the uproar there would be if some IT failure prevented payment being made to everyone on a Wednesday because of the clockwork motor running down! 'Sorry sir/madam, you will now have to wait until next Wednesday for your pension because of this.'

When our usual payment day falls on a Bank Holiday, payment is normally made a day earlier. Lucky those people who are so well off that they don't notice these things.... ho ho ho.

To answer Yorky's (tongue-in-cheek?) question about leap years, we have to wait an extra day for our pensions when there are 29 days instead of 28 in February. If we are normally paid on a Friday, but it happens to be the 29th February in a leap year, we will still receive payment on 29th. We do not receive an extra day's pension in a leap year, not even in Yorkshire.

.....even if it had the capacity to process millions of transactions on Wednesdays alone.

I am given to understand that these days industrial computers can process billions of transactions in seconds?

Unless it's operated by Waddinghams in Leeds.

I am given to understand that these days industrial computers can process billions of transactions in seconds?

Unless it's operated by Waddinghams in Leeds.

I feel that folk who consider paying zillions of pounds for such a machine to provide all DWP pension payments on a Wednesday only might find that the cost of doing so negated any value for money they might imagine it would provide.

I feel that folk who consider paying zillions of pounds for such a machine to provide all DWP pension payments on a Wednesday only might find that the cost of doing so negated any value for money they might imagine it would provide.

I don't believe such computers cost zillions of pounds. I'm convinced that DWP (and PPF) already have such power, probably on every operator's desk.

Many people think that all the protesting about this inequality will come to nothing. Without any protests and subsequent lobbying it will undoubtedly be true - hence the need for all of us who are affected to keep pressurising and to add our names to petitions etc at every opportunity.

Our silence would definitely achieve nothing. Adding our weight to the campaign for pension equality can achieve the opposite.

Approx 500,000 frozen pensioners. Some 660 MP's. At best with a full turnout voting from frozen expats that would add a little over 700 votes per constituency on average. Spread amongst the parties, I don't think that will give Boris cause for concern.

Approx 500,000 frozen pensioners. Some 660 MP's. At best with a full turnout voting from frozen expats that would add a little over 700 votes per constituency on average. Spread amongst the parties, I don't think that will give Boris cause for concern.

If your numbers are correct then your logic will surely upset some.

(That is the problem with logic.)

But we're not alone - are we? Most of us will have families of children, brothers and sisters, grandchildren, cousins and friends in the UK who will surely sympathise enough with this daylight robbery to add their names to the protests. So 500,000 may be the headline figure, but if we can multiply that by the factors above, then Boris & Co might feel that we're not such an insignificant twitch of his sphincter. Get 'em involved too!

But we're not alone - are we? Most of us will have families of children, brothers and sisters, grandchildren, cousins and friends in the UK who will surely sympathise enough with this daylight robbery to add their names to the protests. So 500,000 may be the headline figure, but if we can multiply that by the factors above, then Boris & Co might feel that we're not such an insignificant twitch of his sphincter. Get 'em involved too!

I think you are overplaying your hand Merlin.

As iniquitous as the current system is, the politicians have shown that they have no motivation to put themselves out for the 500,000. As Nick says, not a vote winner and there is little empathy from UK residents, most of whom would say that we have made our beds so must lay in them.

A good proportion of expats have been disowned by families back home - or at least have minimal contact. I would not dream of trying to enlist the support of my family on this matter, they have enough of their own issues to deal with.

Remember also that there is a growing opinion that pensioners who choose to live (and spend their money) overseas should not be entitled to receive the state pension. The precedent for this was set with Bereavement Payments, where a claimant had to be domiciled in the UK to claim.

I am afraid that this is a lost cause, the courts have consistently judged against the claim for parity

Nevertheless, I shall continue to add my name to any petition that is doing the rounds

I think you are overplaying your hand Merlin.

As iniquitous as the current system is, the politicians have shown that they have no motivation to put themselves out for the 500,000. As Nick says, not a vote winner and there is little empathy from UK residents, most of whom would say that we have made our beds so must lay in them.

A good proportion of expats have been disowned by families back home - or at least have minimal contact. I would not dream of trying to enlist the support of my family on this matter, they have enough of their own issues to deal with.

Remember also that there is a growing opinion that pensioners who choose to live (and spend their money) overseas should not be entitled to receive the state pension. The precedent for this was set with Bereavement Payments, where a claimant had to be domiciled in the UK to claim.

I am afraid that this is a lost cause, the courts have consistently judged against the claim for parity

Nevertheless, I shall continue to add my name to any petition that is doing the rounds
+ 2.

Back