Visa Agent Surin

Not my sphere of operation but someone is looking for a local agent - do they exist locally?

I now wish to apply for retirement to Thailand (from UK), and thought that the process now more compliant.

I attempted the online (3 months) visa requirement as a starting point for getting the retirement visa.

It demanded a copy of three months fully paid up in advance hotel reservation. Unreasonable for me.

I have decided to apply for Tourist Visa and then extend whilst using a local agent to organise it all for me..

Have I got all that right?

Can anybody recommend a reliable agent in Surin (Isaan) area?

Grateful for any assistance.

Is the man legally married to a Thai? I'd suggest going the marriage visa route after getting into the country on a tourist 90 visa if so. Half the money needed compared to a retirement visa. (As you, I have never understood the financial requirement between a retirement visa and a marriage visa. Should be the reverse.) :)

If expats cannot afford to show the perfectly reasonable financial requirements (not sure if I agree with retirement being double the married figure - I spend a lot less down here when Jip is not with me!) then my sympathy levels are fairly low

Not being able to provide less than £1,000 pm income, or tied up capital of less than £10,000 is not a great position after 40 years of working.

That said, I have seen someone 'live' in 8,000 Baht pm.

I can fully understand someone who has the wherewithal, but chooses not to have to deal with Immigration.
"That said, I have seen someone 'live' at 8,000 Baht pm."

Married or not? :)

I agree, many would love to not have to deal with the confusion and aggravation 'at times' at Immigration. The requirements and rules seem to change depending on which IO you deal with and from the government inability to sort themselves out properly.

"not sure if I agree with retirement being double the married figure - I spend a lot less down here when Jip is not with me!"

Agreed. Seems more than a bit back asswards. I know if I was not married I would not spend half what I do each month. Even including some occasional temporary companionship and a soapy massage every month. LOL

If anyone knows of a Surin officer who can facilitate a speedy process kindly PM me.

If anyone knows of a Surin officer who can facilitate a speedy process kindly PM me.
Come on @Wombat, do it yourself. It really is not that difficult. Both @Yorky and me have written guides to follow and a list of what you need. If your paperwork is in order you will be in and out within a couple of hours. The total cost is 1,900 baht + 300 baht for the letter and bank statement. If you need help, I am happy to give you a steer.

Is the man legally married to a Thai? I'd suggest going the marriage visa route after getting into the country on a tourist 90 visa if so. Half the money needed compared to a retirement visa. (As you, I have never understood the financial requirement between a retirement visa and a marriage visa. Should be the reverse.) :)
Despite having PR , between marriages in the 90's, I found that living in Pattaya at that time as a single man cost far more than in married life up here in Isaan, due mainly to the alcohol and "entertainment" expenses! :grinning:

Come on @Wombat, do it yourself. It really is not that difficult. Both @Yorky and me have written guides to follow and a list of what you need. If your paperwork is in order you will be in and out within a couple of hours. The total cost is 1,900 baht + 300 baht for the letter and bank statement. If you need help, I am happy to give you a steer.

If @Wombat is following the "retirement" route then it's not difficult (albeit frustrating). If he's following the "marriage" route then there are additional and/or varied requirements which, personally I only have a rough idea of based entirely on hearsay (and a few years old).

If he's following the "brown envelope" route then other folks will need to provide the information.

Yes Nomad, I know all that and I have the necessary baht in the bank and I have done it your way at least 5 times, but, I have my own preferences for looking at alternative methods.

If @Wombat is following the "retirement" route then it's not difficult (albeit frustrating). If he's following the "marriage" route then there are additional and/or varied requirements which, personally I only have a rough idea of based entirely on hearsay (and a few years old).

If he's following the "brown envelope" route then other folks will need to provide the information.
Around 2016, I'm not sure the exact year, we all had to have home visits which included photographs of the house, also having a village "boss" vouch for you and being photographed with said "boss" for the retirement option. Not much different to the marriage process as they dealt with my wife during the visit.

Around 2016, I'm not sure the exact year, we all had to have home visits which included photographs of the house, also having a village "boss" vouch for you and being photographed with said "boss" for the retirement option. Not much different to the marriage process as they dealt with my wife during the visit.

It only lasted less than one year @Wombat. No-one had given any thought to the number of additional staff and increase in budget that would be required so it was kicked in the head (or I believe that that was the reason).

It only lasted less than one year @Wombat. No-one had given any thought to the number of additional staff and increase in budget that would be required so it was kicked in the head (or I believe that that was the reason).
They came around a couple times a couple years ago. The wife has a couple of the big bosses numbers and calls if I have any problems or any questions about the immi stuff. Glad they stopped by for a chat. They know who I am now and know wife and SIL and our business and daughter's business as a doctor of Chinese medicine. Love the fact the Immi offices are now in Surin.

Despite having PR , between marriages in the 90's, I found that living in Pattaya at that time as a single man cost far more than in married life up here in Isaan, due mainly to the alcohol and "entertainment" expenses! :grinning:

To be fair, you probably still spend more money on alcohol and entertainment than you do on your wife !! :grinning:

(Note to any new readers - do NOT use Prakhonchai for your yardstick for any aspect of life in Thailand)

A 1 yr extension based on marriage is available in Savanakhet, Laos for 5000 baht, with no financial records required. Service is next day.
The down side is you must exit the country every 90 days.

Then it is NOT an extension George.

What you describe is Non-Immigrant 'O' VISA based on Marriage (retirement not available), multiple entry. It allows you to stay in the Kingdom for 90 days then you have to depart.

Often used by people who were unable to satisfy the financial requirements for an extension of stay.

AFAIK Savannakhet is the only/one of the few offices still issuing 12 month multiple entry visas.

I hope my next home visit goes as well as the last one, which was so memorable. on so many levels. When the two IO tried throwing their weight around with Pu Yai Ban (Wifes uncle) and our neighbour (cranky senior citizen) They were told "Who the heck Do you think you are" It was then a team of PEA workers that I know showed up. They wanted to know what these two wankers wanted and started crowding in on them. It was then both made a dash for the car and left. All with out getting their tea money! I am still laughing.
The IO wanted to know if I was known in the area, Well guess what? Bye the way not a word was spoken by me.

Then it is NOT an extension George.

What you describe is Non-Immigrant 'O' VISA based on Marriage (retirement not available), multiple entry. It allows you to stay in the Kingdom for 90 days then you have to depart.

Often used by people who were unable to satisfy the financial requirements for an extension of stay.

AFAIK Savannakhet is the only/one of the few offices still issuing 12 month multiple entry visas.
I think @Wombat got one out of Canberra. Which surprised the hell out of me. A shift of policy ???????????? Or a fluke. I will find out when I return.
My wife's hearing problem is taking an age. Months between appointments. First world country you know.

I think @Wombat got one out of Canberra.

The first multi entry visa that I ever had for Thailand was issued in Brisbane (I've never been to Brisbane). I obtained it through a company called "Thai Visa" which had an office on Sukhumvit Soi 23. Cost me ฿13,000.00 if I remember correctly.

The first multi entry visa that I ever had for Thailand was issued in Brisbane (I've never been to Brisbane). I obtained it through a company called "Thai Visa" which had an office on Sukhumvit Soi 23. Cost me ฿13,000.00 if I remember correctly.

That would have been a lot of money back in the last century.

Then again, it probably wasn't as the exchange rate was likely to have been 70+

That would have been a lot of money back in the last century.

Then again, it probably wasn't as the exchange rate was likely to have been 70+

It was either 1999 or 2000 and the exchange rate was around 75 to the Sterling (although I was being paid in US$ at the time). However, when I went to Bangkok Immigration to "extend" it I was thrown out - the IO informed me that it was fake.

I obtained my next multiple from the Thai embassy in Manila and the subsequent one from Singapore. The latter is the one that my extension of stay has been based upon since.

Last edited:
Back