Visa Agent Surin

The British embassy may or may not provide you with a letter regarding your income (as they have done in the past) - but that is irrelevant to this discussion. What is relevant is that they will not provide you with a letter certifying your income which was indicated by @Deerculler's statement in his post #44 and which could be required by the Thailand Immigration Officers. As confirmed by @Cent the United States embassy will not provide such a letter and I am told that neither will the Australian embassy. Regarding other Embassies, I do not know.

The British embassy may or may not provide you with a letter regarding your income (as they have done in the past) - but that is irrelevant to this discussion. What is relevant is that they will not provide you with a letter certifying your income which was indicated by @Deerculler's statement in his post #44 and which could be required by the Thailand Immigration Officers. As confirmed by @Cent the United States embassy will not provide such a letter and I am told that neither will the Australian embassy. Regarding other Embassies, I do not know.

They will not provide you with an 'income letter' of any sorts...........not in their services.

Irrelevant to this thread, and Deerculler's question, but anyway, you said:-

"The British Embassy will type a letter (for around ฿3,000.00) which states that you have an income of whatever because that's what you've told them. However, they are not prepared to "certify" the income, a requirement that Thai Immigration I believe now insist upon".

I said "They will not"....... I just mention it in case any Brits may have been lured into thinking otherwise...

They will not provide you with an 'income letter' of any sorts...........not in their services.

Irrelevant to this thread, and Deerculler's question, but anyway, you said:-

"The British Embassy will type a letter (for around ฿3,000.00) which states that you have an income of whatever because that's what you've told them. However, they are not prepared to "certify" the income, a requirement that Thai Immigration I believe now insist upon".

I said "They will not"....... I just mention it in case any Brits may have been lured into thinking otherwise...

Well, I thought it was perfectly clear.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion for responses to posts in the future:

The British Embassy will type a letter (for around ฿3,000.00) which states that you have an income of whatever because that's what you've told them.

That is incorrect. The British Embassy ceased to provide such letters on 1st January 2019.

However, they are not prepared to "certify" the income, a requirement that Thai Immigration I believe now insist upon.

That is correct.

...but irrelevant.

My point was that a "letter from the Embassy" (as provided by the British embassy - up until January 2019 (my error)) does not satisfy Thailand Immigration should it be confirmation (and not certification) of an income from overseas. If the New Zealand and Canadian embassies are prepared to certify the income and Thai Immigration are prepared to accept such a document, then good luck.

What ticced me off no end is I was told that the Thai Immi WANT the letter verification of income, but do not consider it valid for validating your income and you need to have bank records, money in a Thai bank, etc etc. I asked why the hell I had to go to Bangkok to my embassy and pay for travel, a room likely, 3K baht for the letter, which is worthless, if they will not use it to verify my annual income. Their reply was, 'Just do. Have to have.' That was right about the time I learned about the Savanakhet option and just started doing it that way. I've never lost my temper at Immi (and seen some that have, which is counter productive for sure), always dress properly, have done so for many, many years, but the attitude at times just irked the hell out of me.

I have used the annual income in excess of 800,000 baht method for the past 19 years or so. Up until 3 years ago, They always required a letter from the embassy confirming that income. Three years ago the embassies stopped producing such letters. Since then, for better or worse, Immigration now needs to see a 12-month bank statement that clearly shows your income coming from overseas, i.e., not from within Thailand as if you are working here. That requirement to show in excess of 800,000 baht per year was modified at the same time and you now need to show that you transfer in excess of 65,000 baht for each and every month of the year. My bank statement clearly shows such transfers and that has been accepted by the authorities for the past three years, 2019, 2020, and 2021.

I have used the annual income in excess of 800,000 baht method for the past 19 years or so. Up until 3 years ago, They always required a letter from the embassy confirming that income. Three years ago the embassies stopped producing such letters. Since then, for better or worse, Immigration now needs to see a 12-month bank statement that clearly shows your income coming from overseas, i.e., not from within Thailand as if you are working here. That requirement to show in excess of 800,000 baht per year was modified at the same time and you now need to show that you transfer in excess of 65,000 baht for each and every month of the year. My bank statement clearly shows such transfers and that has been accepted by the authorities for the past three years, 2019, 2020, and 2021.
Do they accept transfers by Wise or cash from an international plastic card that's put into your Thai account????

If anyone knows of a Surin officer who can facilitate a speedy process kindly PM me.

Yes Nomad, I know all that and I have the necessary baht in the bank and I have done it your way at least 5 times, but, I have my own preferences for looking at alternative methods.

I’m with @Wombat on this one. I also have the money in the bank, but the 5 extensions I have done in Surin have never gone without a hitch or request for a tip. There is always some new paperwork to complete. I find the whole experience to be quite unpleasant and I would happily pay someone to do it for me.

I’m with @Wombat on this one. I also have the money in the bank, but the 5 extensions I have done in Surin have never gone without a hitch or request for a tip. There is always some new paperwork to complete. I find the whole experience to be quite unpleasant and I would happily pay someone to do it for me.

I feel the same way; but when I put a pile of 12 x 1,000 Baht notes in front of me, I couldn't bring myself to give it to an agent.

I probably have applied for and received 75% (15 out of 20) extensions without a hitch. Receiving "up to date" information on this site has likely helped. I've never been asked for a tip although I usually pop the ฿100.00 change into the box.

I probably have applied for and received 75% (15 out of 20) extensions without a hitch. Receiving "up to date" information on this site has likely helped. I've never been asked for a tip although I usually pop the ฿100.00 change into the box.
Same, same, very rarely have any problems that my darling wife cannot/could not sort out on the spot. Only turned away once in 20 years, just a couple of days before Christmas, when we had to drive to Bangkok to obtain that damned Letter of Income from the Embassy. I had to hire Martin's Toyota, and my wife was 5 months pregnant with our second child too. (R.I.P. Martin of the farang Connection). And, other than the 100 baht tip, the change from 2 x 1,000 baht notes for the 1,900 baht extension, we have never been asked for nor paid any tea money.

It was either 1999 or 2000 and the exchange rate was around 75 to the Sterling (although I was being paid in US$ at the time). However, when I went to Bangkok Immigration to "extend" it I was thrown out - the IO informed me that it was fake.

I obtained my next multiple from the Thai embassy in Manila and the subsequent one from Singapore. The latter is the one that my extension of stay has been based upon since.
My next pain in the ass will be when we move into the new place and we will have to change addresses etc with immi.

Same, same, very rarely have any problems that my darling wife cannot/could not sort out on the spot. Only turned away once in 20 years, just a couple of days before Christmas, when we had to drive to Bangkok to obtain that damned Letter of Income from the Embassy. I had to hire Martin's Toyota, and my wife was 5 months pregnant with our second child too. (R.I.P. Martin of the farang Connection). And, other than the 100 baht tip, the change from 2 x 1,000 baht notes for the 1,900 baht extension, we have never been asked for nor paid any tea money.
Neither have I.

Back