Visa Agent Surin

A very personal observation about how to interact with Immigration staff. Over the years, my wife has developed good relationships with a number of the officers in Immigration. Many have children in the same schools as our children, many have shared interests, and many are prepared to share their private telephone numbers. If we need to know some information, my wife is quite happy to call in advance of our visits. And, most importantly, as my wife tells me every time we go to Immigration, say nothing, leave all the talking to me. It works every time for me. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

By way of example - last year my wife was called by immigration at 3pm with a message for me to report to do my extension at 9am the next day at a school in the city. This was over a month early and we had to scramble about getting bank letters and copies in the city. At the school I handed over my completed paperwork and was given a bunch of new forms to complete - I was asked to write my phone number at the bottom of the main form, even though I had already written it at the top of the same page. When handed over the re-entry permit form they said cannot do here - so we had to go to the main immigration office anyway and queue again.

Over the course of transferring to an extension based on retirement more than ten years back I have only had an issue once whereas I had to pay a penalty...or return to Kap Cheong at a later date with another bank letter once the matter was rectified. I chose to settle the matter (below) there and then. My choice.

Did I have the correct money seasoned in the bank ? Affirmative.
Was money sitting untouched in a Thai Bank Certificate of Deposit account considered 'properly seasoned' by every Immigration officer ? Negative.

By way of example - last year my wife was called by immigration at 3pm with a message for me to report to do my extension at 9am the next day at a school in the city.

That call should have been ignored. It was probably purely a suggestion.

Many years ago, the Immigration Officers came from Khorat (before the latest Kab Cheong office was opened) to Surin and Buriram for one day on alternate months and one could report or apply for the extension there. It was not mandatory - you had the choice to go to Khorat if you so wished.

Also, after the new office at Kab Cheong opened Mrs. Dow would make herself available for 90 day reporting once a week at the Green Garden, Huay Saneng. Again, not mandatory, you still had the option to report at Kab Cheong.

Last edited:
A very personal observation about how to interact with Immigration staff. Over the years, my wife has developed good relationships with a number of the officers in Immigration. Many have children in the same schools as our children, many have shared interests, and many are prepared to share their private telephone numbers. If we need to know some information, my wife is quite happy to call in advance of our visits. And, most importantly, as my wife tells me every time we go to Immigration, say nothing, leave all the talking to me. It works every time for me. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Wives do not always equal a satisfactory outcome.

I could not deal with the lack of independence. In any event a wife should be nowhere near an Immigration office when applying for an extension based on retirement.

Same, same, very rarely have any problems that my darling wife cannot/could not sort out on the spot. Only turned away once in 20 years, just a couple of days before Christmas, when we had to drive to Bangkok to obtain that damned Letter of Income from the Embassy. I had to hire Martin's Toyota, and my wife was 5 months pregnant with our second child too. (R.I.P. Martin of the farang Connection). And, other than the 100 baht tip, the change from 2 x 1,000 baht notes for the 1,900 baht extension, we have never been asked for nor paid any tea money.
The BFG was a good 'un. He was the first farang that I met when I moved to Thailand and a fellow CFC supporter too. I wore a Chelsea shirt to his funeral.

Wives do not always equal a satisfactory outcome.

I could not deal with the lack of independence. In any event a wife should be nowhere near an Immigration office when applying for an extension based on retirement.
I would have to disagree. Wives can and are a very useful commodity for some, especially for me.

Last edited:
I would have to disagree. Wives can and are a very useful commodity for some, especially for me.

I understand - and I know it is quite common behaviour, particularly in rural areas. In the worst cases I know of men who are incapable of shopping on their own.

I would find the emasculation hard to deal with.

Horses for courses, I get that.

I never have taken my wife with me to Immigration (even though my visits are few and far between these days) nor to the tessaban or amphur, when problems have arisen re the childrens names on the tabien baan. When asked where she is, I tell them she is unavailable, and that they can deal with me quite adequately.

Same when checking into a hotel..............reception aways speaks to the Thai person. I sit my wife and family down, check in, then call them when all done. After all, I booked it and I am paying!

I resent seeing all questions being directed at a Thai, when the purpose of ones visit to wherever is to do with you -the farang!

Some 4 years ago I had to renew my PR book, as the pages are stamped in and out when leaving Thailand as well as my passport and was full. Can only be done at HQ Bangkok, where they have a specific desk for PR. Told it would take 4 days, despite my having travelled from Buriram. I implied that I was happy to pay a bit extra for same day service, but they did not bite. 4 days later I went back, and the passport was still locked up in their cupboard..NOTHING had been done! I waited until I received the new PR Book (another hour), before I told them what I thought of them!

I never have taken my wife with me to Immigration (even though my visits are few and far between these days) nor to the tessaban or amphur, when problems have arisen re the childrens names on the tabien baan. When asked where she is, I tell them she is unavailable, and that they can deal with me quite adequately.

Same when checking into a hotel..............reception aways speaks to the Thai person. I sit my wife and family down, check in, then call them when all done. After all, I booked it and I am paying!

I resent seeing all questions being directed at a Thai, when the purpose of ones visit to wherever is to do with you -the farang!

I have experienced similar when starting a transaction, the Thai immediately directs her conversation to Jip.

I usually jump in and say "speak to me first......."

I understand - and I know it is quite common behaviour, particularly in rural areas. In the worst cases I know of men who are incapable of shopping on their own.

I would find the emasculation hard to deal with.

Horses for courses, I get that.
I am more than capable of shopping on my own. Similarly, I can and have done my own thing in Immigration too. But I do agree, it is a case of horses for courses. If you are lucky to have a competent, attractive, and young Thai-speaking p.a., why not use her?

I am more than capable of shopping on my own. Similarly, I can and have done my own thing in Immigration too. But I do agree, it is a case of horses for courses. If you are lucky to have a competent, attractive, and young Thai-speaking p.a., why not use her?

I am all for using attractive, young Thai females..... :)

But not for basic tasks like dealing with retirement extensions.

Sorry Nick. I cannot even read the friggin' cheque that they hand to me in a restaurant.
I give to my dear or daughter to review and then inquire about certain items if I'm interested.

At Thai Imm annually with extension based on retirement I believe my darling signs more papers than I do.
I surmise if I break the law perceived or real she is on the hook.
My reporting residence is HER HOUSE afterall.

One day they will only talk to the Thai half.
Ie: "Where would you like him cremated ?"
"How many monks...how many nights ?"
"Do you want music and dancers too ?"
...and so forth. :p

At that point there is really nothing we can do. lol

Sorry Nick. I cannot even read the friggin' cheque that they hand to me in a restaurant.
I give to my dear or daughter to review and then inquire about certain items if I'm interested.

At Thai Imm annually with extension based on retirement I believe my darling signs more papers than I do.
I surmise if I break the law perceived or real she is on the hook.
My reporting residence is HER HOUSE afterall.

One day they will only talk to the Thai half.
Ie: "Where would you like him cremated ?"
"How many monks...how many nights ?"
"Do you want music and dancers too ?"
...and so forth. :p

At that point there is really nothing we can do. lol
It is all down to ones personal choice.**** I like to take charge/control and do things myself. I was brought up to understand that that was a mans job.

**** However, when it comes down to ones death/cremation, we have no choice, no matter what instructions we may leave before hand. It is all down to wife/partner/family. You WILL have 12 monks chanting 2/3 times a day. You Will have singers and dancers. All the local bigwigs WILL attend. ;;unhappy;;

Back in the 1970s there was a BBC program titled "Does he take sugar?" It was to draw attention to the fact that people with disabilities are so often 'talked over' when they are present in conversations between say a waitress and a child's parent or carer.

It is never a pleasant experience when the subject of the conversation is assumed by the third-party to be incapable of answering the question in the title - or any other involving him or her. Being ignored in a similar way in so many shops, restaurants and offices here generates a similar reaction in the victim. As bad is handing over money to a sever for whatever is provided only for the change to be given to the Thai partner as if a Farang was incapable of dealing with it. I invariably extend my hand towards the server for the change, and offer them a pointed 'kop khun krap' which more often than not results in a fairly startled expression from them.

It is all down to ones personal choice.**** I like to take charge/control and do things myself. I was brought up to understand that that was a mans job.

**** However, when it comes down to ones death/cremation, we have no choice, no matter what instructions we may leave before hand. It is all down to wife/partner/family. You WILL have 12 monks chanting 2/3 times a day. You Will have singers and dancers. All the local bigwigs WILL attend. ;;unhappy;;
I have mentioned a few instructions about my cremation and I've clearly explained that those who do not abide by my instructions, will be haunted by me for the rest of thier lives.
I believe that that instruction was taken very seriously!
:)
P.s. I don't believe in ghosts or other 'invisible friends'

Back