Water Pump and Watering System

Peciacake

Can anyone recommend a mobile Pump / Water System repairer in Surin? We have a 2" water pump that refuses to pump. Tried several remedies - replaced the pump with its reconditioned predecessor, replaced the inlet line. Need an expert who can diagnose and rectify. Seems it is cavitating - bubbles are coming up the primer pipe when I'm trying to get it to pump.

Attachments

• image_2024-01-24_082940990.png
    image_2024-01-24_082940990.png
    724.3 KB · Views: 7
Can anyone recommend a mobile Pump / Water System repairer in Surin? We have a 2" water pump that refuses to pump. Tried several remedies - replaced the pump with its reconditioned predecessor, replaced the inlet line. Need an expert who can diagnose and rectify. Seems it is cavitating - bubbles are coming up the primer pipe when I'm trying to get it to pump.
Buy a new unit. ;;victory;;

Can you please draw a piping diagram. Seems to be a simple impeller pump. Are you pumping from a foot valve?
1706064182779.pngIf you didn't know what they were called. In Thai Hua galock. Means skull in English. Its one of my fav weird Thai words.
My fun game is walking around the hard ware store reading the labels in Thai. Oh while I am here my second fav is Door Jamb. Wong gop. Circle frog mouth. Off course 555.
There I am getting side tracked. 9 out of 10 pump faults are foot valve failure.

Service options: Offers repair services · Offers same-day delivery

Address: ทางไปศรีสะเกษ เลยแยกโรบินสันไป 3 กม. อยู่ซ้ายมือ ถ สุรินทร์-ศีขรภูมิ Salak Dai, Mueang Surin District, Surin 32000

Hours:
Open ⋅ Closes 5 PM

Phone: 044 063 288

Can you please draw a piping diagram. Seems to be a simple impeller pump. Are you pumping from a foot valve?
View attachment 72954If you didn't know what they were called. In Thai Hua galock. Means skull in English. Its one of my fav weird Thai words.
My fun game is walking around the hard ware store reading the labels in Thai. Oh while I am here my second fav is Door Jamb. Wong gop. Circle frog mouth. Off course 555.
There I am getting side tracked. 9 out of 10 pump faults are foot valve failure.
I concur. Footvalves cause lots of problems. Very easy for a piece of junk to open them up, and many pumps don't suck enough to establish their own prime. I've taken to plumbing in a tee with a riser and ball valve on the intake line to make repriming easier. Also put a union in so it's easy to pull the footvalve and clean it. All this has led me to vastly prefer submersible pumps whenever practical, as they don't have this problem. But that doesn't help you draw from a lake or khlong.

What did the reconditioner of your pump state ?
The repairer simply replaced some seals in the original pump. I pulled it down yesterday and the impeller is fine. When I swapped it with the newer pump it had the same problem - works for 20 - 30 seconds then stops pumping. So I put the new pump back. Now the newer pump doesn't even pump for 20 seconds, just bubbles coming from the primer.
Checked the foot valve (similar to the one shown below). Seems to be working okay as the inlet / suction line remains charged overnight

Attachments

• image_2024-01-24_130604564.png
    image_2024-01-24_130604564.png
    114.3 KB · Views: 4
The repairer simply replaced some seals in the original pump. I pulled it down yesterday and the impeller is fine. When I swapped it with the newer pump it had the same problem - works for 20 - 30 seconds then stops pumping. So I put the new pump back. Now the newer pump doesn't even pump for 20 seconds, just bubbles coming from the primer.
Checked the foot valve (similar to the one shown below). Seems to be working okay as the inlet / suction line remains charged overnight
It's really sounding like an issue on the suction side piping.

It's really sounding like an issue on the suction side piping.
Agree Ferret. Thought we'd fix it by replacing the entire inlet / suction line from the dam to the pump. But no joy unfortunately. Frustrating as all get out I can tell you. Really giving me a case of severe irrits.

So you can fill the suction side pipe up and it does not leak away then ?

It is a simple impeller pump Rice. My diagram skills are pretty poor so a couple more photos may help: showing the suction and discharge pipes plus the primer. The foot valve is located approximately 28 metres from the pump, sitting 4 metres below the pump centre line. It normally works very well and has only started to play up over the last two weeks. The primer cup stays full overnight with the valve open which indicates the foot valve is doing its job.

Attachments

• image_2024-01-24_151529605.png
    image_2024-01-24_151529605.png
    624.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Pump outlet.JPG
    Pump outlet.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 5
It is a simple impeller pump Rice. My diagram skills are pretty poor so a couple more photos may help: showing the suction and discharge pipes plus the primer. The foot valve is located approximately 28 metres from the pump, sitting 4 metres below the pump centre line. It normally works very well and has only started to play up over the last two weeks. The primer cup stays full overnight with the valve open which indicates the foot valve is doing its job.
Jesus mate, i'm doing some nut scratching over this and, just playing up recently is a head f*ck.
The pump is definately dragging air from ????????? or, there is an obstruction on the suction side causing turbulance generating bubbles.
Pity i'm not a lot closer.

Mystery solved by the local heavy machinery / farm boilermaker whose workshop is across the road. He spotted the problem straight away. Where the nipple screws into the pump housing I should have fitted an O ring to seat the nipple properly against the pump housing and the shoulder of the nipple. Literally to stop it from bottoming out when tightened. Dickhead here had the pumpkin on instead of the head and just screwed the nipple in and tightened it. So Taen the mechanic used some mud around the nipple and the housing as per the photo below and the pump works like brand new. As a temporary measure he gave me some sealing tape to replace the mud as he didn't have the right size (thickness) O ring. Will pick one up in Surin tomorrow.
The root cause of the problem was disturbing the old suction pipe when filling a few washouts next to the suction line - I bumped the suction line causing it to start sucking air. Feel like a bloody dill but I learned a few things about pumps, and being a bush mechanic. Thank you Taen.
Many thanks to all who have responded with advice and recommendations. Very much appreciated.

Attachments

• Pump repair 1.JPG
    Pump repair 1.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Pump repair 2.JPG
    Pump repair 2.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Pump repair 3.JPG
    Pump repair 3.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 5
Mystery solved by the local heavy machinery / farm boilermaker whose workshop is across the road. He spotted the problem straight away. Where the nipple screws into the pump housing I should have fitted an O ring to seat the nipple properly against the pump housing and the shoulder of the nipple. Literally to stop it from bottoming out when tightened. Dickhead here had the pumpkin on instead of the head and just screwed the nipple in and tightened it. So Taen the mechanic used some mud around the nipple and the housing as per the photo below and the pump works like brand new. As a temporary measure he gave me some sealing tape to replace the mud as he didn't have the right size (thickness) O ring. Will pick one up in Surin tomorrow.
The root cause of the problem was disturbing the old suction pipe when filling a few washouts next to the suction line - I bumped the suction line causing it to start sucking air. Feel like a bloody dill but I learned a few things about pumps, and being a bush mechanic. Thank you Taen.
Many thanks to all who have responded with advice and recommendations. Very much appreciated.
I think you need to learn some terminologies that aint no "nipple" it is a pipe union or fitting in male or female.
Not to be confused with a flange or a flat. 555 @FERRET is having flash backs now.
Glad you got sorted, nothing worse then a pesky problem that can confuse. Of your own making in fact. :)

Glad you got it sorted mate.

Back