Water Pump and Watering System

O Ring
Any thoughts of a quick fix to the pump inlet sucking air were tossed out the window when trying to find the right size O Ring in Surin and Chom Phra. Tried Thai Watsadu, Do Home and several pump repair shops in Surin but no one carries this size. Have yet to try Global House and Home Pro (guessing it will be the same as TW and DH) Any suggestions on who may carry a decent range of O Rings in Surin would be very much appreciated. See attached for size.

Attachments

• O Ring.JPG
    O Ring.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 5
O Ring
Any thoughts of a quick fix to the pump inlet sucking air were tossed out the window when trying to find the right size O Ring in Surin and Chom Phra. Tried Thai Watsadu, Do Home and several pump repair shops in Surin but no one carries this size. Have yet to try Global House and Home Pro (guessing it will be the same as TW and DH) Any suggestions on who may carry a decent range of O Rings in Surin would be very much appreciated. See attached for size.
Mate, if, I said if you can find a 5mm "o" ring of a larger diameter, uning a sharp cutter to trim it to the correct size, ensuring the ends are square and super glue it back together
which will work fine. I have used this method many times.
Alternatly, see if you can source an "o" ring splicing kit.

Attachments

• 1.1.jpg
    1.1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 4
O Ring
Any suggestions on who may carry a decent range of O Rings in Surin would be very much appreciated. See attached for size.

Did you try going online to order a couple of rubber O-rings ?

(Sizes 50, 55, 60, 65mm just to make sure.)

O Ring
BUY A NEW PUMP. ;;victory;;

With MAKRO on your left, continue to the next U-turn, where there is also a soi on your left. Pass the soi and you will find a small garage just a few metres on your left. They carry a good range of O rings there, and I've always found one to fit whatever has been required.

Appreciate the follow up Ferret - thanks mate. Wasn't able to find an O ring in Surin with the right CS so I trimmed 3mm off the union (nipple???) then wound on plenty of thread tape before finishing with silastic around the joint. Now all I have to do is reinstall it without disturbing the joint. Will find out tomorrow if it works. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• image_2024-02-04_142821750.png
    image_2024-02-04_142821750.png
    732.6 KB · Views: 3
Appreciate the follow up Ferret - thanks mate. Wasn't able to find an O ring in Surin with the right CS so I trimmed 3mm off the union (nipple???) then wound on plenty of thread tape before finishing with silastic around the joint. Now all I have to do is reinstall it without disturbing the joint. Will find out tomorrow if it works. Fingers crossed.
If a goodly application of teflon tape and Silastic can;t fix it, your'e in deep sh*t. :p :p :p

You never use silastic on a pipe.
1707048854553.png
@Peciacake this is the stuff you need to use.
1707049402129.png
This product is available just about every where it is an anaerobic sealant, such as flange and thread sealants. It strengthen joints and seals in systems. It creates a seal through the hardening of resins and chemical compounds, but only in the absence of air. As long as anaerobic sealants are exposed to air, they will not harden or cure. You may of known it in Australia @FERRET as Hawkins paste.

Rice, appreciate the info on Permatex - thanks. Will get some and give it a try as it's still sucking air although I'm not sure it's the union into the pump.
May well be where I joined the inlet / suction lines between the pump and the dam. Or the coupling.

Is Permatex okay to use on a cast iron housing with a PVC union? (I couldn't find specific info on Google) The Technical Data Sheet is fairly brief.

Attachments

• Coupling.JPG
    Coupling.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 4
If a goodly application of teflon tape and Silastic can;t fix it, your'e in deep sh*t. :p :p :p
Silastic-brand silicone elastomers have a range of applications. In the automotive industry they are used for making gaskets, spark plug boots, hoses and other components that must operate over a broad temperature range and resist oil and coolants.

Rice, unfortunately the Permatex joint compound you recommended hasn't done the job. It arrived yesterday morning after being ordered on-line (nil stock in Surin) and used to assemble the pipe union and pump inlet. I must admit I was dubious straight away due to the low viscosity of the sealer.
As per instructions, left it 24 hours for it to harden (solvent to evaporate). Fired up the pump a short while ago.

NBG - see below. F*ck, f*ck, f*ck. Back to the f*cking drawing board....

I admit defeat and will ask Taen, our local boilermaker / heavy equipment mechanic, who originally diagnosed the problem, to take over.

Shaking my head while I walk away...

Attachments

• image_2024-02-11_140455760.png
    image_2024-02-11_140455760.png
    693.4 KB · Views: 4
Back