WISE

varrius57

Just info. As usual I sent my pension from Wise ( Transferwise) to my Bangkok bank. they said it would take 7 hours to process, as usual. They then sent me a message that it would be a further 24 hours as they were so busy.
So just to see, I sent a thousand baht to my wifes Kasikorn account It took 6 seconds.WTF. I will never see that 1000 again but it was worth it to show my bank is crap.
I suspected it when I wanted a yearly statement for my visa, and they said it would take 7 days from bangkok and not be dated currently as Immigration seems to require.
As I said just info.
Gracie

Just info. As usual I sent my pension from Wise ( Transferwise) to my Bangkok bank. they said it would take 7 hours to process, as usual. They then sent me a message that it would be a further 24 hours as they were so busy.
So just to see, I sent a thousand baht to my wifes Kasikorn account It took 6 seconds.WTF. I will never see that 1000 again but it was worth it to show my bank is crap.
I suspected it when I wanted a yearly statement for my visa, and they said it would take 7 days from bangkok and not be dated currently as Immigration seems to require.
As I said just info.
Gracie
@varrius, I bring my pension monthly from Australia via OFX to my SCB account which usually takes 24 hours max. OFX charge a flat fee of $15.00 AUD
and what they send is what I get, no fees this end also, OFX rates are typically ฿1.5 better than local bank rates. I have been doing this for 12+ month and,
last week, I used a current record of proof of income to get my extension of stay, no problem.

@varrius, I bring my pension monthly from Australia via OFX to my SCB account which usually takes 24 hours max. OFX charge a flat fee of $15.00 AUD
and what they send is what I get, no fees this end also, OFX rates are typically ฿1.5 better than local bank rates. I have been doing this for 12+ month and,
last week, I used a current record of proof of income to get my extension of stay, no problem.
To be honest mate I am not paying a lot more than that, Is OFX a global transfer site?

I believe most Thai banks do not charge to receive Baht. It's when the foreign currencies are deposited that not only are charges applied but also the exchange rate is substantially less. Except if you're AtB who has a special arrangement.

Why don't you use Wise @FERRET? It's very fast, like about 10 seconds if you do the exchange at the right time.

As I said just info.
Gracie
I use Wise to transfer money from the UK to Thailand, Bangkok bank, three times a month. As Nick said above, usually the transfer is less than 10 seconds to complete. That said, occasionally the transfer can be delayed. Whether or not that is due to Bangkok bank or not, I cannot tell.

Yes, obtaining the 12-month bank statement is a pain in the arse and usually takes 5 working days. That said, if you use their online banking facility, a 6-month statement can be downloaded in a matter of minutes. Print the first one after 6 months and the second, after the end of the year and you have a 12-month statement. Bingo!

As I said just info.
Gracie

I don't think that it is anything to do with your bank......the Thai bank simply receives the incoming funds which are a 'domestic transfer'. That is the whole point of Wise, they don't use banks, they use local agents.

Don't ask my why some transfers get a little stuck (a 'little stuck', remember when bank to bank took 2/3 days!) ......I suspect that it is something to do with the interface with the agent - although, it seems that the transfers that get held up are often the one's with the reason for transfer as "Funds for long term stay in Thailand'. Also, there is sometimes a difference between a transfer you make and then move money from your bank to cover, and transfers where you have already moved money into your Wise (GBP in my case) account and are transferring directly from there.

When I effected a transfer from my account in IoM to my account in Kasikorn today, I noticed that the recipient's email (my own) was my old, soon to be defunct, address. I emailed Wise to inform them and within 3 hours they responded with a solution.

Somewhat quicker than HMPO's response time of 14 days!

[Note for @Prakhonchai Nick : you were right about HMPO's promised 3 working days response time!]

I have neither a UK bank account nor a debit card with my offshore bank so I haven't researched this previously.

I was asked today if a debit card (Barclay's) could be used to deposit cash into a Wise account for onward transfer to a Thai bank (Bangkok Bank). A little googling has indicated that it is feasibly but can anyone confirm that they have actually done this?

I have neither a UK bank account nor a debit card with my offshore bank so I haven't researched this previously.

I was asked today if a debit card (Barclay's) could be used to deposit cash into a Wise account for onward transfer to a Thai bank (Bangkok Bank). A little googling has indicated that it is feasibly but can anyone confirm that they have actually done this?
Read the fine print.

I can confirm on behalf of a friend who has used that method.

Can't see the point personally because the cost is a tad higher than transferring in via online banking.

I can see it working for someone who does not have/favour online banking.

Back