WISE

As you have quoted that the "fine print" is relevant you must have read it. In that case could you enlighten me?

I'll wait...................................................

I believe most Thai banks do not charge to receive Baht. It's when the foreign currencies are deposited that not only are charges applied but also the exchange rate is substantially less. Except if you're AtB who has a special arrangement.

I think to balance that argument you need to say that if you are exchanging home currencies for Baht (to send to a Thai account) you will get a significantly worse rate of exchange than that applied if the home currency was sent to Thailand for conversion to Baht. Also, Thai bank charges are typically lower across the board than in the West (maybe AtB excepted).

That 8 second transfer - was it from your UK bank account?

Less than a minute I think for the transfer between NatWest International, Isle of Man and Wise. Then 8 seconds for the transfer between Wise and Kasikorn, Surin.

NatWest International in Isle of Man is not a UK bank (apparently).

Less than a minute I think for the transfer between NatWest International, Isle of Man and Wise. Then 8 seconds for the transfer between Wise and Kasikorn, Surin.

NatWest International in Isle of Man is not a UK bank (apparently).

WISE is a UK bank - well it isn't actually a bank - but your account with WISE is a UK bank account (sort code 23-14-70)...

I think to balance that argument you need to say that if you are exchanging home currencies for Baht (to send to a Thai account) you will get a significantly worse rate of exchange than that applied if the home currency was sent to Thailand for conversion to Baht. Also, Thai bank charges are typically lower across the board than in the West (maybe AtB excepted).

I cannot say that is correct in my experience. My PPF payments are converted to Baht at source and sent to Kasikorn Bank. The overall result is better than if the PPF sent Sterling direct (which they will not do anyway). I could request PPF to transfer Sterling to my IoM bank (or even Wise) but I haven't got around to that yet.

I cannot say that is correct in my experience. My PPF payments are converted to Baht at source and sent to Kasikorn Bank. The overall result is better than if the PPF sent Sterling direct (which they will not do anyway). I could request PPF to transfer Sterling to my IoM bank (or even Wise) but I haven't got around to that yet.

Then you must have the same influence as AtB because, without exception, it has historically always been better to remit home country funds.

Then you must have the same influence as AtB because, without exception, it has historically always been better to remit home country funds.

It's some time since I checked it but the exchange rate given by PPF in UK was better (not by much) than Kasikorn but then Kasikorn charge a fee for the deposit. PPF don't charge anything for sending the money.

It's some time since I checked it but the exchange rate given by PPF in UK was better (not by much) than Kasikorn but then Kasikorn charge a fee for the deposit. PPF don't charge anything for sending the money.

Who are PPF?

Who are PPF?

PPF are a subsidiary of DWP who are responsible for reimbursing pensioners their rightful payments following the collapse of their company's pension schemes due to mismanagement and/or illegal activities of the wankers operating as the scheme providers. The department was formed after Robert Maxwell pissed all the Daily Mirror's employees pension fund contributions up against the wall.

PPF are a subsidiary of DWP who are responsible for reimbursing pensioners their rightful payments following the collapse of their company's pension schemes due to mismanagement and/or illegal activities of the wankers operating as the scheme providers. The department was formed after Robert Maxwell pissed all the Daily Mirror's employees pension fund contributions up against the wall.

Therefore PPF are not a bank and don't 'give' rates.

The rate will be set by the 'bank' used by PPF to remit the funds.

For information:

Carillion – Bob Wylie

The collapse in January 2018 of the construction giant Carillion, outsourcer of huge Government building contracts, is one of the great financial scandals of modern times. When it folded it had only £29 million in the bank and debts and other liabilities adding up to a staggering £7 billion. When the total losses were counted it was established that the banks were owed £1.3 billion in loans and that there was a hole in the pension fund of £2.6 billion. That left British taxpayers picking up the tab to salvage the pensions owed to Carillion workers.

On one level, this is a familiar story of directors who systematically looted a company with the aim of their own enrichment. But in a wider context the Carillion catastrophe exposes everything that is wrong about the state we are in now – the free-for-all of company laws which govern directors’ dealings, the toothless regulators, the crime and very little punishment of the Big Four auditors, and a government which is a prisoner of a broken model born of a political ideology which it cannot forsake. Through the story of Carillion, Bob Wylie exposes the lawlessness of contemporary capitalism that is facilitated by hapless politicians, and gives a warning for the future that must be heeded. Bandit Capitalism charts, in jaw-dropping detail, the rise and rise of the British Oligarchy.

[Carillion bought Alfred McAlpine (the company that I worked for for 30 years) in 2007]

WISE is a UK bank - well it isn't actually a bank - but your account with WISE is a UK bank account (sort code 23-14-70)...

My account with NatWest International is sort code 60-12-03. Not a UK bank account.

Isn't sort code 23-14-70 Barclays (I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot stick) Bank?

Last edited:
As said, nothing to with Barclays they have simply been allocated a sorting code within the umbrella of their sorting code range.

Whereas 60-12-03 is very much part of NatWest Group Plc (48% government owned) , through the ownership of RBS International.

I know as much about banking as you probably know about pipeline precommissioning/commissioning.

Back