WISE

My previous transfers have taken just seconds to arrive in my Thai account. On this occasion, I suspect that whilst HSBC transferred funds to Wise immediately, Wise delayed the next stage, perhaps in the belief that as yesterday was a public holiday here, it could justify holding on to the funds for a few hours. If, as stated by Wise, they transferred the funds to BK Bank at 8.54 am today, it is a bit surprising that BK Bank took a further 5 hours and 7 minutes to credit my account - they normally do so in a just few moments.

I had sent Sterling to Wise who then converted it to Baht and sending Baht to BK Bank. The exchange rate was 44.7436. I'm happy with the service and the rate received.

Mine arrived before 10.00 am, as indicated.

Minor point of order..... obviously Sterling is sent from one's UK bank to WISE (to the UK sort code and account number). I don't believe that WISE 'converts' to Baht, but uses the agent in Thailand to make a domestic transfer in Baht. WISE and the agent then settle up at the end of the day/week .

Mine arrived before 10.00 am, as indicated.

Minor point of order..... obviously Sterling is sent from one's UK bank to WISE (to the UK sort code and account number). I don't believe that WISE 'converts' to Baht, but uses the agent in Thailand to make a domestic transfer in Baht. WISE and the agent then settle up at the end of the day/week .
Main thing is one receives the exchange rate and amount transferred offerred and accepted, without any add on costs from the Thai receiving bank.

I am currently helping 2 widows who both receive very small widow's pensions from their late husbands former employer. By the time UK bank transfer charges have been applied, then the Thai banks commission using a TT rate somewhat lower than the Wise rate, they have lost some 25/30% of their monthly pension paid in £ sterling. Opening a Wise account and using it is likely beyond them!

Main thing is one receives the exchange rate and amount transferred offerred and accepted, without any add on costs from the Thai receiving bank.

I am currently helping 2 widows who both receive very small widow's pensions from their late husbands former employer. By the time UK bank transfer charges have been applied, then the Thai banks commission using a TT rate somewhat lower than the Wise rate, they have lost some 25/30% of their monthly pension paid in £ sterling. Opening a Wise account and using it is likely beyond them!

These widows may not have the technical knowhow to set up a transfer system using Wise, but from what I can see, if some kind person did that on their behalf (free of charge or for a modest sum :) ) then the conversion from Sterling to Baht, and a subsequent transfer on the same date every month can be done automatically.

I've looked at using £200 as a small transfer to be converted to Baht and sent to a Thai bank on the last day of every month: here is the result obtained from the Wise website membership account just now...

1702383101601.png

The widow (or anyone else that wanted a permanent and automatic transfer) should review the system every once in a while of course, but it ought to run like clockwork - unless I'm missing something.

Changes to accommodate pensions that escalate with inflation would need to be made when notified of course. Am I missing something?

The rate charged for the process in the above example is just 0.9% which seems like a very good deal compared with PN's 25% to 30%, and the percentage quoted seems to reduce as the sum converted and transferred increases, e.g. the charge for £1,000 is 0.725% today.

The charge doesn't include the amount lost because of the exchange rate, but as Wise provides what is possibly the best exchange rate around, the sum transferred is probably as good as it can possibly be.

I hope this helps someone.

Very valid points @Merlin Annual pension increases need to be manually adjusted with Wise. In addition, occasionally Wise will write and require to check that the information they hold is correct. That does tend to stretch a persons kindness especially when not local.

Example below

The Wise Team

Hello XXXXXX​

You’ll need to confirm your personal details by 8 January 2024​
For regulatory reasons, we need to make sure we have your most up-to-date personal information. To confirm your details, just click the button below.​

If you haven’t done this by 8 January 2024, we’ll have to restrict your account.​
This means that you won’t be able to:​
  • send money
  • receive money
  • add money to your balances

Very valid points @Merlin Annual pension increases need to be manually adjusted with Wise. In addition, occasionally Wise will write and require to check that the information they hold is correct. That does tend to stretch a persons kindness especially when not local.

Example below

The Wise Team

Hello XXXXXX​

You’ll need to confirm your personal details by 8 January 2024​
For regulatory reasons, we need to make sure we have your most up-to-date personal information. To confirm your details, just click the button below.​

If you haven’t done this by 8 January 2024, we’ll have to restrict your account.​
This means that you won’t be able to:​
  • send money
  • receive money
  • add money to your balances

It is probably too soon since I opened my account for them to have sent me one of these yet. No doubt that they will do so in time!

I've used https://chat.openai.com/ to help with creating sets of instructions, and know that these can be translated by them into Thai. Providing instructions such as those might be a potential solution to avoid unnecessary travel and time constraints.

Here is the Wise page from my previous post, automatically translated into Thai using the Chrome webpage translation facility:
1702386787233.png

I had previously noticed the 2pm payment time for Bangkok Bank, regardless of the reason for transfer. Invariably, modest transfers to Kasikorn are received within seconds.
I just transferred $8,000 USD via Wise, and it appeared in seconds in my K-Bank account. This is my typical experience. I also now use the great Wise feature that (at least on a browser login) allows you to schedule the exact net amount of foreign currency to be received periodically. So I've set that up to transfer 66,000 THB monthly. When I test and trust it that there are no hidden fees anywhere along the way, I'll just reduce it to the required 65,000 THB. Bangkok Bank used to sneakily make a deduction from the net sent without calling it a fee, which I discovered when doing a reconciliation. That's when I moved to K-Bank. K-Plus is a great online tool.

Dammit!

I transferred fund from my UK bank to Wise earlier today, had them convert it into THB, and then set up an immediate transfer to my Bangkok Bank account. Now WISE say they will send the money at 10.00am on Christmas Day instead of today!!!
Why?
What's happened to their instant service???
This is the second consecutive transfer where this has happened.
Seething.

Dammit!

I transferred fund from my UK bank to Wise earlier today, had them convert it into THB, and then set up an immediate transfer to my Bangkok Bank account. Now WISE say they will send the money at 10.00am on Christmas Day instead of today!!!
Why?
What's happened to their instant service???
This is the second consecutive transfer where this has happened.
Seething.
I think Bangkok Bank is part of the problem.

I closed my accounts with Bangkok Bank around 15 years ago because I didn't find them "customer friendly". I only kept the accounts open until then because I needed a separate bank into which my "wages" could be paid to avoid any questions from Immigration.

Just done a test with Wise. A £10,000 transfer will supposedly arrive on Tuesday 2nd January, a £40,000 transfer will arrive on Thursday 4th January But a £1000 transfer will arrive in seconds !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is consistent with my experience. Smaller transfers tend to go faster. I sent one Friday that isn't there yet, but over the extended holiday I expected that.

And take Wise's time estimates with a grain of salt. They are only estimates.

Today:

Instructed Wise to transfer money to Kasikorn Bank - 15:58

Wise transfer money - 15:59

Kasikorn Bank receive money - 15:59.

Give or take a few seconds.

I instructed a transfer yesterday at 1.47 pm from UK to my Bkk Bank a/c.
According to the Wise website, it is due to arrive here by 2.13pm today.
I think that is calculated from the time Wise paid it to my bank, which was 8.44 am today.

As 1.47pm here yesterday was 6.47am GMT yesterday, I wonder what Wise were doing with it until this morning.

Still a pretty good transfer method though, and they appear not be holding my money over the weekend this time, unlike in December and January!

As has been said several times before, transfers to Bangkok Bank always take longer than other Thai Banks, and normally arrive after 2pm. Transfers to Kasikorn (other than unusually large amounts) invariably arrive in seconds.

Back