Driving Licenses

I had obtained my yellow book prior to applying for my first annual extension at KC.
While at the visa office I decided to set in motion obtaining my Thai driving licence - KC supplied me with an appropriately stamped letter containing my photograph and charged me 500 baht for it.
I duely went along in Surin to obtain my driving licence and was told as I had a yellow book they didn't need the KC letter - KC knew I had the yellow book as it formed part of my annual extension application so charitably I am assuming it was nothing to do with the 500 baht charge and it is either KC or the Surin transport office who don't know the rules
555 They know the rules how to get the most out of a farang, Colin thats for sure!

I had obtained my yellow book prior to applying for my first annual extension at KC.
While at the visa office I decided to set in motion obtaining my Thai driving licence - KC supplied me with an appropriately stamped letter containing my photograph and charged me 500 baht for it.
I duely went along in Surin to obtain my driving licence and was told as I had a yellow book they didn't need the KC letter - KC knew I had the yellow book as it formed part of my annual extension application so charitably I am assuming it was nothing to do with the 500 baht charge and it is either KC or the Surin transport office who don't know the rules

I really think all rules/fees/charges vary from location to location.. I got my first one-year drivers license at the office between Prasat and Prachonchai with the needed proof of residence (and it cost 500 baht), but my 5-year renewal after that didn't require it (they didn't ask for it).
Luck of the draw methinks!

mario299

Glade to see a chang of heart. Last June Surin LTD would NOT accept my yellow house book. Had to obtain a letter from KCI.

Ah. The woes of living in Surin.

At the Buriram office, just up the road from the football stadium, you don't need anything from KC immigration or a yellow book.

All you need is a letter from the Police station which usually costs about 100baht.

BTW. Just because you live in Surin it doesn't mean that you cannot use the Buriram office.

Ah. The woes of living in Surin.

At the Buriram office, just up the road from the football stadium, you don't need anything from KC immigration or a yellow book.

All you need is a letter from the Police station which usually costs about 100baht.

BTW. Just because you live in Surin it doesn't mean that you cannot use the Buriram office.

Quite true what you say about useing the LTD in Buriram but the cost of fuel going and coming to Buriram would off set the savings.

Glade to see a chang of heart. Last June Surin LTD would NOT accept my yellow house book. Had to obtain a letter from KCI.

Its just the luck of the draw in Surin. I recently sold a vahicle and the sourfaced old hag didnt accept my Yellow Book either. I went back a week later after a phone call with identical docs and all was OK

Quite true what you say about useing the LTD in Buriram but the cost of fuel going and coming to Buriram would off set the savings.

It would for someone living where you do GL. Maybe for some people living in the western area of Surin it would be different.

They would then not have to drive to KC for a letter. Buriram is nearer to Surin town that KC is.

It would for someone living where you do GL. Maybe for some people living in the western area of Surin it would be different.

They would then not have to drive to KC for a letter. Buriram is nearer to Surin town that KC is.

Very true and it could be a nice day out and a meal at one of the many fine establishments there. Zabza Restaurant in Krasang is midway between the 2 places, for instance.

Thats true Steve. The key is getting the cops to do a letter for you.

I went to the Surin Office, yesterday, to change my 1 year licenses for the 5 year licenses.
Arrived about 1100 and was immediately given a number. A girl quickly checked to see if I had gotten color-blind since the last visit a year ago.
Next, she sent me to the front desk, where they reviewed my documents. While reviewing them, the very nice ladies saw that I had a Certificate of Residence from Kap Chong which had a copy of my yellow book as part of the documentation.
Consequently, the ladies told me that as I had Tambien Bann (yellow book,) no Cert. of Res. was necessary.
They then completed the paperwork and 20 minutes later, I happily departed with my 5 year driver's licenses.
Very easy and only 30 minutes total time. Staff were very nice and helpful.

I went to the Surin Office, yesterday, to change my 1 year licenses for the 5 year licenses.
Arrived about 1100 and was immediately given a number. A girl quickly checked to see if I had gotten color-blind since the last visit a year ago.
Next, she sent me to the front desk, where they reviewed my documents. While reviewing them, the very nice ladies saw that I had a Certificate of Residence from Kap Chong which had a copy of my yellow book as part of the documentation.
Consequently, the ladies told me that as I had Tambien Bann (yellow book,) no Cert. of Res. was necessary.
They then completed the paperwork and 20 minutes later, I happily departed with my 5 year driver's licenses.

Its good to hear that you did not need to sit through the hour long video as I was told it was compulsory. GREAT NEWS!

It should be mentioned that if you let yout Thai DL expire for a long time, you will be asked to do the computerised test/video etc. I met a guy last week whose DL was 2 years out of date and he didn't have such a quick turnaround.

Last edited:

I have been looking back over this thread (Bear and others) with a particular concern in mind.
I have my one year Thai driving licenses (one for bike and one for car). They were issued in December 2012. When I go to replace them with 5 year ones in December 2013, will I still need to produce my Portuguese license?
Reason I am asking.....I am currently in Portugal attending to a number of beaurocratic matters, including renewing my license with a new address. The new one will be sent to my Portuguese address but only a few weeks from now, by which time I will already be back in Surin!
If I won't need it for the Thai 5 year renewal I will just ask my friends here to hold on to it until I return to Portugal next year. If I will need it, I will have to ask them to DHL it to me.
Advice gratefully received.....and look forward to being back amongst you at the end of this month.
JohnB

I have been looking back over this thread (Bear and others) with a particular concern in mind.
I have my one year Thai driving licenses (one for bike and one for car). They were issued in December 2012. When I go to replace them with 5 year ones in December 2013, will I still need to produce my Portuguese license?
Reason I am asking.....I am currently in Portugal attending to a number of beaurocratic matters, including renewing my license with a new address. The new one will be sent to my Portuguese address but only a few weeks from now, by which time I will already be back in Surin!
If I won't need it for the Thai 5 year renewal I will just ask my friends here to hold on to it until I return to Portugal next year. If I will need it, I will have to ask them to DHL it to me.
Advice gratefully received.....and look forward to being back amongst you at the end of this month.
JohnB

No. You just give them your 1 year Thai license and get the 5 year one. No need for other licenses.

Mike

Cent is correct, no need for any other license, just the Thai one-year. Been there, done that.

mario299

Thanks Cent and Mario for such speedy replies. That's one less thing to worry about then!!
JohnB

You must do it before the 1 year license expires :cool:

That is incorrect formation. NOT before or NOT on the date but after.. and the same paper work that you used the first time...certificate of residence and another 20 baht medical. BTW you are given quite a bit of time over the due date. Also you need to be on a 1 year extension to stay for the 5 year or you will just get the 1 year.

No. You just give them your 1 year Thai license and get the 5 year one. No need for other licenses.

Mike

Your one year license needs to expire before you can get/go for your five year license. Apply the day after your license has expired. I don't know why the hell they do this, but it is so. To get the 5 year your 1 year needs to have expired.

Mike

Back