O Visa - Marriage

I did not mention this before. I had big problems with the Bitch in Surin. with my OA ext. I ended up using a agent.
Which I will do for future extensions.
My 90 day reports will be done online.
I am too bloody old and sick to be playing her stupid games.
Last year I had problems with a bitch at Kap Cheong.

I have not got many years left to be putting up with crap from female IMO's.
Knowing what I know now I would not have come o Thailand.
There are other countries that are far more retiree friendly.
All these new visa's that Thailand is offering now are a bunch of crap.
They seem to be in cuckoo land all the time.

Years ago NZ started to employ women in the men's Correction Prisons.
They where nothing but big trouble.
Put a woman in uniform and in a position of authority and they lose the plot.

Best answer so far (apart from Dave's Guinness suggestion :) )

Liquorice

Many foreigners previously met their now Thai spouses on visits to Thailand.
At the time of applying for a Non Imm O, they are not married, therefore have to apply based on retirement.
Once legally married, which is a change in circumstances, you can then change the reason of extending your stay based on Thai spouse/family.

Certain Immigration officers simply resent the extra work when applying based on Thai spouse and give all manner of excuses.
Extensions based on Thai spouses have to be approved by regional offices, therefore the Immigration officer accepting your documents for the extension is having his 'competence' of requirements' checked in effect. They hate to be told by an authority the application is incomplete, basically being incompetent and loosing 'face'.

This is a universal list of documents that may be requested for an extension based on Thai spouse.
Docs Extension of Stay based on Thai spouse.pdf

Can we just clarify - are you currently staying in Thailand based on an original VISA acquired outside of Thailand? ......... If so, is this a VISA granted on the basis of RETIREMENT?

That would have got you stamped in for 90 days and is the basis from which you are now applying for an EXTENSION OF STAY.

From your comments my assumption is that this is your first EXTENSION OF STAY APPLICATION.
O Visa - Retirement granted in Dec 2020 after having arrived in Thai in March 2020. The process was relatively straightforward.
As Ferret stated, having ฿800,000 sitting in the bank doing nothing is pretty dumb. The ฿400,000 saved by extending via a O Visa Marriage makes a lot of difference.

O Visa - Retirement granted in Dec 2020 after having arrived in Thai in March 2020. The process was relatively straightforward.
As Ferret stated, having ฿800,000 sitting in the bank doing nothing is pretty dumb. The ฿400,000 saved by extending via a O Visa Marriage makes a lot of difference.
Said Captain BITCH at the Holy Grail of Surin who a friend mine was told 20,000 baht and he said FORK OFF returned Kap Choneg and got it 5000 baht.

I've asked on a couple of occasions "what to do with ฿800,000.00 rather than it sitting in the bank doing nothing?". I've only had one reply ("invest in property in your home country") but my circumstances effectively prevent that.

I have had an extension based on retirement for the past 18 years or so. Not once have I ever tied up 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account. I used to show a total income coming into Thailand in excess of 800,000 baht each year. Now it's been tightened up to show more than 65,000 baht each and every month of the year. For me, with pensionable income paid every month, it's no trouble to arrange a monthly transfer. With a family of 4, with 2 teenage girls at school, it's easy to say I need more than 65,000 baht each and every month to support my family's needs.

I have had an extension based on retirement for the past 18 years or so. Not once have I ever tied up 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account. I used to show a total income coming into Thailand in excess of 800,000 baht each year. Now it's been tightened up to show more than 65,000 baht each and every month of the year. For me, with pensionable income paid every month, it's no trouble to arrange a monthly transfer. With a family of 4, with 2 teenage girls at school, it's easy to say I need more than 65,000 baht each and every month to support my family's needs.
Aussie expats do not qualify for government pensions (...don't get me started...). Based on what Yuri and I need to live on, the income stream from my superannuation is less than ฿65,000 / mnth. Hence prefer to have ฿400,000 required for an O Visa - (Marriage) sitting in a bank account doing nothing.

Question Peciacake: For how long have you been married to your wife properly documented at your ampur in Thailand ?

Aussie expats do not qualify for government pensions (...don't get me started...). Based on what Yuri and I need to live on, the income stream from my superannuation is less than ฿65,000 / mnth. Hence prefer to have ฿400,000 required for an O Visa - (Marriage) sitting in a bank account doing nothing.
Isn't the monthly income option requirement 65,000bt/month for retirement and 40,000bt/month for marriage? maybe Peciacake could meet the marriage requirements, then no money needs to be locked in a Thai bank

With two kids schooled privately you'd be lucky to get by on 100,000/ month.

Many foreigners previously met their now Thai spouses on visits to Thailand.
At the time of applying for a Non Imm O, they are not married, therefore have to apply based on retirement.

I'm racking my brain trying to remember my circumstances back in 2000. My first 12 months multi-entry non-immigrant O was based upon nothing. ThaiVisa (Soi 22) obtained it from Brisbane but when I came to try and extend it, I was told that was impossible and to go away because the non-O that I had was a "forgery" anyway. The next visa I got from the Thai Embassy in Singapore, three month single entry non-immigrant O; I cannot remember what I provided to obtain that visa. The next one was a three month single entry non-O from the Thai Embassy in Manila. None of those had anything to do with retirement as at that time, the minimum age for retirement in Thailand was 55 and I was only 51. My next one was a 12 month multi-entry non immigrant O obtained from Singapore but by that time I was married to a Thai. One year later when I came to extend my stay the retirement age in Thailand had been reduced to 50 and as I was then 52, I extended my stay on the basis of retirement.

I've asked on a couple of occasions "what to do with ฿800,000.00 rather than it sitting in the bank doing nothing?". I've only had one reply ("invest in property in your home country") but my circumstances effectively prevent that.

I assume that you have your full entitlement of Premium Bonds?

Isn't the monthly income option requirement 65,000bt/month for retirement and 40,000bt/month for marriage? maybe Peciacake could meet the marriage requirements, then no money needs to be locked in a Thai bank

I didn't see any indication that 400k was a problem - he just didn't want to tie up 800k.

His superannuation monthly income will no doubt exceed 40k and evidencing 12 monthly receipts will meet Immigration requirements.

I don't know how Surin treat first time extension applicants - but it doesn't sound like they are going to bend over backwards to help!

I assume that you have your full entitlement of Premium Bonds?

I haven't got any premium bonds at all. Isn't that also "tying money up"?

However, a question. If I did have £10,000.00 worth of premium bonds and I died (which no doubt I will), how easy would it be for my wife to cash them in?

[Edit: Also, I understand that a UK bank account is required in order to buy (or hold?) premium bonds. I do not have a UK bank account.]

Last edited:
Back