O Visa - Marriage

I believe a forum member who is on an extension based on marriage can provide you with the name of the required document to prove your marriage status in Thailand.

I hope they can but in the meantime here is a link to the Pattaya Expats Club guidelines for marriage, and retirement, extensions:-

I know that @nomad97 has posted a checklist before for retirement - if the Mods have time (of course they have :) ) it would great to have 'pinned' topics on the procedures for Surin Immigration.

No idea......it was an example - the Channel Islands are a bugger to deal with - NS&I are not.

I have my DWP pension paid into a bank account in the Isle of Man. My wife has sufficient information to obtain the balance of that account without resort to probate after my death (unless I have prior knowledge of my death and I am sufficiently compos mentis to empty the account beforehand).

I hope they can but in the meantime here is a link to the Pattaya Expats Club guidelines for marriage, and retirement, extensions:-

I know that @nomad97 has posted a checklist before for retirement - if the Mods have time (of course they have :) ) it would great to have 'pinned' topics on the procedures for Surin Immigration.
Your wish is my command. Nomad's thread has been 'stuck' as requested. See https://surinfarang.com/forum/threads/extension-of-stay-retirement.26771/post-287841

Yuri and I attended the Immigration office in Surin yesterday with the intention of applying for O Visa - Marriage "Thai Wife Visa" (TWV). It did not go well.
We presented the required documentation and photos we were advised to include. We made sure our document checklist matched the requirements advised for a TWV: bank certificate; bank statement; copy of house book with statement from house owner; copy of passport and ID card all appropriately signed plus the right number of photos with the right subject matter.
When we presented the docs and advised the reason for being there, the desk clerk immediately rolled her eyes becoming very animated, going into a long tirade.
Yuri was quite taken back by the clerk's attitude. She translated the points raised by the clerk, summarised below:
- All TWV applications are sent to Khon Kaen for processing and may take up to a month to process
- There is no guarantee a TWV will be granted despite how carefully it is prepared. It needs a strong justification.
- If a TWV application is rejected, any other visa held by the applicant is automatically extinguished and the visa holder must leave Thailand before applying for another visa. I would have to go through the whole process to reapply for a O Visa - Retirement after re-entering Thailand (see last point below).
- TWV holders are subject to annual visits from the Immigration police around the time of the visa renewal date.
- She strongly asserted we shouldn't proceed with our application for a TWV. Her attitude goes against Yuri's experience when she phoned Kap Choeng for advice on applying for the TWV. Kap Choeng's advice and attitude could not have been more helpful.
This morning Yuri spoke with Thai Immigration in BKK who confirmed the requirement to leave Thailand and apply for a visa on re-entry if the TWV isn't approved. The person she spoke with also advised an O visa may not be automatically granted despite me having one previously.

Any advice / assistance on this topic would be very much appreciated.

Pecia, I calmly reread your OP.

Quite possibly you haven't "clicked all the boxes".
Quite possibly Surin Imm is trying to save you the headache from starting all over from scratch in case your TWV application is rejected at the higher level.

You can always review everything you are holding to provide to Immigration again or before you apply directly up the chain of command at Khon Kaen or Bangkok Central Imm.

THB800,000 "seasoned for 90 days" might be prudent for renewing and requesting specific details towards TWV well in advance of your next go-round in 2023.

Good luck moving forward with whatever dccision or direction you decide. Peace. :)

Quite possibly Surin Imm is trying to save you the headache from starting all over from scratch in case your TWV application is rejected at the higher level.

You can always review everything you are holding to provide to Immigration again or before you apply directly up the chain of command at Khon Kaen or Bangkok Central Imm.

THB800,000 "seasoned for 90 days" might be prudent for renewing and requesting specific details towards TWV well in advance of your next go-round in 2023.

Good luck moving forward with whatever dccision or direction you decide. Peace. :)

I totally disagree with @Coffee and think that it is far more likely that the Surin IO was just too lazy/belligerent. Also. seasoning of money is only for 2 months.

As per the OP, @Peciacake was not told that his documents were not in order, he was told that he could be refused a marriage based extension because he entered Thailand on a visa based on retirement. That is my understanding of what I read. He already referred to bank book/letter etc - as long as he provided the Kor Ror 22 (for those married in Thailand it is KE2 and KR3). EDIT - having re-read the OP it looks like the IO did mention retirement visa vs marriage extension (that cropped up in posts later) - she just put the frighteners on about being rejected.

• If you were married outside of the Kingdom, you will need to lodge a Family Status Registration (Kor Ror. 22) and provide a copy of the marriage certificate or marriage registration from overseas
  • If you were married overseas, the marriage must be legalised by the Embassy in Bangkok. For example, if you were married in the UK, the British Embassy would need to legalise the marriage. A copy of these documents along with a certified translation verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand will be required

• If you were married in Thailand, you will need your original Thai Marriage Certificate (Kor Ror. 2 and Kor Ror. 3) along with a copy. You will also need to provide a copy of your Affirmation of Freedom to Marry certificate, which your Embassy will have issued prior to your marriage

Last edited:
As per the OP, @Peciacake was not told that his documents were not in order, he was told that he could be refused a marriage based extension because he entered Thailand on a visa based on retirement. That is my understanding of what I read. He already referred to bank book/letter etc - as long as he provided the Kor Ror 22 (for those married in Thailand it is KE2 and KR3).

• If you were married outside of the Kingdom, you will need to lodge a Family Status Registration (Kor Ror. 22) and provide a copy of the marriage certificate or marriage registration from overseas
  • If you were married overseas, the marriage must be legalised by the Embassy in Bangkok. For example, if you were married in the UK, the British Embassy would need to legalise the marriage. A copy of these documents along with a certified translation verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand will be required

Strange. I didn't read that Kor Ror 22 in Pecia's OP inventory, did you ?

The Captain Bitch wants 20000 baht

Or an extension.

The OP wants an extension based on marriage.

His statement "We attended the Amphur in 2020 as part of the application for my O Visa - Retirement" was probably wrongly worded then.

I think that I've been to the Surin Amphur 5 times in total. Twice to get married, once to get divorced, once to obtain a yellow book and once to obtain a pink card.

Strange. I didn't read that Kor Ror 22 in Pecia's OP inventory, did you ?

No @Peciacake stated that ALL his documents were in order as per checklist. That pre-supposes the KR requirements were on the checklist.

The second clue was when he advised that he had been to the amphur with his Australian marriage paperwork. That suggests (doesn't guarantee) that the marriage was registered correctly in Thailand - unless he just went for a day out to visit the amphur.

No @Peciacake stated that ALL his documents were in order as per checklist. That pre-supposes the KR requirements were on the checklist.

The second clue was when he advised that he had been to the amphur with his Australian marriage paperwork. That suggests (doesn't guarantee) that the marriage was registered correctly in Thailand - unless he just went for a day out to visit the amphur.
The Captain Bitch wants 20000 baht.

His statement "We attended the Amphur in 2020 as part of the application for my O Visa - Retirement" was probably wrongly worded then.

I think that I've been to the Surin Amphur 5 times in total. Twice to get married, once to get divorced, once to obtain a yellow book and once to obtain a pink card.
I got married in Surin and got divorced in Pattaya. Read into that, what you like.!
:D :D :) :) :) :) :) :D

Back