Sunday roast surin city..

Joe,

Well, what if they offered the same dinner or close enough and tasty as well, but in Surin city, for 250 baht? 30 baht more. Would you buy it? 30 baht more, but an hour's less driving and fuel use, and much much closer to home. I mean, you liked the RRs roast dinner and price, thought it was great, are only a half hour's drive away, but have had this dinner once in a year. Why not once a month? Once in 2 months? Is it the proximity? Too far to go? Or do you rarely eat a Sunday roast dinner to begin with?

Gary's got a good thing in that he has a sort of captive audience in his customers/guests staying in the rooms and bungalows right there in his resort, and the closest other farang place is 5 kilometers away, and he has a lot of expats around him that like what he does as well. It helps.

So how often do you truly think you would go to a place here in Surin offering this at a maybe slightly higher price? Once a week? Once or twice a month? 2 times a year? Once a year? Realistically. I'm just wondering. Honest answers will help someone some day that will be doing this for the Surinite establishments.

Just wondering.

Mike
I probably would for 250 baht but why wouldn't it be 220 baht? Gary's is. Keep the price low. A lot more people would eat local Farang food if it was more affordable. At Staffords the other Friday night everyone in the place was eating the 145 baht rib dinner special. If he had priced it 200+ baht he probably wouldn't have sold many. Give them a good deal and they will come.

I only ate Gary's roast once because I don't live out there. I used to eat the Farang Connection Sunday roast a couple of times a month.

Martin was a go getter and knew what he was doing. Saying that though Bear, there really were no alternatives back then, except Norby's. Brad's place was only there for a year or so I think. As was Dan's Rocket Cafe I believe. I do think Martin's location was key as well, being between two of the three major hotels at the time on the shortest soi connecting them, the Petchkasem and the Thong Turin (Majestic opened toward the end a couple/three years or so before he died).

Mike

Agree that there were no other alternatives then. However, in Surin, there are still no other Sunday Roast alternatives.
Similar to Joe, I would probably eat there at least once or twice a month, when in town.

Agree that there were no other alternatives then. However, in Surin, there are still no other Sunday Roast alternatives.
Similar to Joe, I would probably eat there at least once or twice a month, when in town.

and then we can call it an American Roast Beef Dinner.
udkfczld_RoastBeefWebsite1.jpg

thinking a bit outside the box - just thinking

one thing i would say for Cent / Waen & family is that they have been in the restaurant business 'like forever' (California speak).
the family had a going concern mostly thai-food that was very delicious and economical.
after Martin went to heaven they saw an 'opportunity'...basically a customer-oriented farang establishment where the language was understood and the specific owner's hospitality was not compromised.
STARBEAM is as close to a real 'western' restaurant as you'll find anywhere in Surin...because the "owner's husband" is on duty , same as beloved Martin was.

now, when you are a visitor to Surin - money is not really an object especially if you're earning income off-shore.
if you live here as a single - good food is always welcome at a decent price.

now, if you're living here with a thai family on retirement then sometimes you crave a really special roast dinner w/ all the trimmings.
normally the family, wife & kids (especially if they have not had long-time exposure to farang cuisine) really do not care for this special roast dinner w/ all the trimmings.

the B 300 that one would say is a great deal becomes B 1,500 for the family and they will not touch half of whats on the plate.
when you return home its back to them getting on another meal to fill themselves up and the farang feeling very 'disjointed' (a clean word).
(sometimes the family feels that the B 1,500 could have been utilized to feed Momma & Poppa for the week or pay a month's tuition at a private school...so the 'level of animosity' slowly rises.)

so, a retired family man living in Surin may not have the wherewithal to make a go of partaking in these fine offering more than a few times a year.
the visitor or economically affluent can toss his bhat wherever he see fit.

just thinking...to help an actual restaurant owner's pricing guage.
song satang

ps: hell GL - where did you get that yummy roast dinner A-mer-I-can style ? ...looks lovely sir...what time and where ?

Last edited by a moderator:
one thing i would say for Cent / Waen & family is that they have been in the restaurant business 'like forever' (California speak).
the family had a going concern mostly thai-food that was very delicious and economical.
after Martin went to heaven they saw an 'opportunity'...basically a customer-oriented farang establishment where the language was understood and the specific owner's hospitality was not compromised.
STARBEAM is a close to a real 'western' restaurant as you'll find anywhere in Surin...because the "owner's husband" is on duty , same as beloved Martin was.

now, when you are a visitor to Surin - money is not really an object especially if you're earning income off-shore.

now, if you're living here with a thai family on retirement then sometimes you crave a really special roast dinner w/ all the trimmings.
normally the family, wife & kids (especially if they have not had long-time exposure to farang cuisine) really do not care for this special roast dinner w/ all the trimmings.

the B 300 that one would say is a great deal becomes B 1,500 for the family and they will not touch half of whats on the plate.
when you return home its back to them getting on another meal to feel themselves up and the farang feeling very 'disjointed' (a clean word).
(sometimes the family feels that the B 1,500 could have been utilized to feed Momma & Poppa for the week or pay a month's tuition at a private school...so the 'level of animosity slowly rises.)

so, a retired family man living in Surin may not have the wherewithal to make a go of partaking in these fine offering more than a few times a year.

song satang
All of the restaurants have Thai food also. You eat 220 baht roast and make them eat 45 baht fried rice. Everybody happy!!

and then we can call it an American Roast Beef Dinner.
udkfczld_RoastBeefWebsite1.jpg

5555555555555555555. So it depends on who is eating the roast dinner as to what it will be called? :)

Personally I prefer a nice roast chicken dinner, or even better, roast turkey. I loves me turkey!

Mike

STARBEAM is a close to a real 'western' restaurant as you'll find anywhere in Surin...because the "owner's husband" is on duty , same as beloved Martin was.

when you return home its back to them getting on another meal to feel themselves up and the farang feeling very 'disjointed' (a clean word).
(sometimes the family feels that the B 1,500 could have been utilized to feed Momma & Poppa for the week or pay a month's tuition at a private school...so the 'level of animosity slowly rises.)

song satang

ps: hell GL - where did you get that yummy roast dinner A-mer-I-can style ? ...looks lovely sir...what time and where ?

apparently I don't exist... even though I am here everyday... bugger... maybe I need more colorful shirts to wear so I am noticed! p4rty

All of the restaurants have Thai food also. You eat 220 baht roast and make them eat 45 baht fried rice. Everybody happy!!

But, there can be an issue at times with that, Joe. I have eaten at farang restaurants all over the country in the past 20 years. The farang food was great in my estimation at many places in a lot of the places I went. The Thai food was considered 'mai arroy' by wife and family.

Conversely I have eaten at Thai restaurants where the wife and family said, 'Good Thai food, arroy. Oh, they have farang food if you want farang food." I'd try the so called farang food on the menu, and it was/would be abysmal and nothing close to western food... whatever they called it (had this in a few places here in Surin years ago)... 'What the f**k did they put in this burger!!! And why the hell is it orange inside and spicy?" (I learned later why my burger was orange. They were using that damned spicy Thai ketchup to moisten the beef so it would stick together as a burger patty.)
To be able to do what you suggest, Joe, is not as easy as you'd think - to find a place that can do it, keep both parties happy with food that is equally good. In many places, especially the further away from Bangkok (and Pattaya these days) it just isn't easy to find. Though I have to say it has gotten better the past few years.

What usually happened (and which I disliked immensely) was I would eat alone in a farang joint and my wife and family would go to a Thai place.

Mike

The one thing that people are over looking is overheads. A roast in Prasat is most likely cheaper because rents etc are lower. There may even be some that own their properties.

Factor in your own petrol money. If there was a good roast dinner in Surin for 300 baht would that not be about the same as one in Prasat for 220.

I don't go for the family idea. Coffee said it himself that they would hardly touch anything on the plate. So why order it?

SurinJoe was right. The Thais will most likely choose Thai food anyway.

5555555555555555555. So it depends on who is eating the roast dinner as to what it will be called? :)

Personally I prefer a nice roast chicken dinner, or even better, roast turkey. I loves me turkey!

Mike

Then how about this and no kfc..

29.jpg

But, there can be an issue at times with that, Joe. I have eaten at farang restaurants all over the country in the past 20 years. The farang food was great in my estimation at many places in a lot of the places I went. The Thai food was considered 'mai arroy' by wife and family.

Conversely I have eaten at Thai restaurants where the wife and family said, 'Good Thai food, arroy. Oh, they have farang food if you want farang food." I'd try the so called farang food on the menu, and it was/would be abysmal and nothing close to western food... whatever they called it (had this in a few places here in Surin years ago)... 'What the f**k did they put in this burger!!! And why the hell is it orange inside and spicy?" (I learned later why my burger was orange. They were using that damned spicy Thai ketchup to moisten the beef so it would stick together as a burger patty.)
To be able to do what you suggest, Joe, is not as easy as you'd think - to find a place that can do it, keep both parties happy with food that is equally good. In many places, especially the further away from Bangkok (and Pattaya these days) it just isn't easy to find. Though I have to say it has gotten better the past few years.

What usually happened (and which I disliked immensely) was I would eat alone in a farang joint and my wife and family would go to a Thai place.

Mike

Many of the Thai/Farang couples that eat at the FC order both Thai and Farang food, nearly every table is a mix of both foods.

My friend, if you wrote this in jest then I concur.

If not , is that how you would treat 'your family' ?

Would it not be better just to say, "I'm going out to eat. You stay home and cook for yourself and/or the family. Make yourself fried rice and some fish soup. I'll be back whenever..."

C'mon Joe, I know you are a better man than that.
I know you have a much bigger heart than that.
Is that really how you treat your family ? (jing jing ?)

(Possibly if you were Khun ban Thai...but you and I are not).
Is that real life for future happiness ('chee wit dee') if you're trying to stay together as a 'family unit' ?

Again, if in jest - no worries, 'jai kow jai'.
If not, I'll drive Friday ThumbUp6

The one thing that people are over looking is overheads. A roast in Prasat is most likely cheaper because rents etc are lower. There may even be some that own their properties.

Factor in your own petrol money. If there was a good roast dinner in Surin for 300 baht would that not be about the same as one in Prasat for 220.

I don't go for the family idea. Coffee said it himself that they would hardly touch anything on the plate. So why order it?

SurinJoe was right. The Thais will most likely choose Thai food anyway.

Stevo,
Yes...the family definitely wants to try the roast !
Excited to be in the farang restaurant.
And beer !!! Oh yes, definitely must taste better at B 80 than B 50...and Daddy's buying so we'll have couple more please.

Yes, I'll request the restaurant to substitute rice for a potato and put the gravy on the side; thereby, saving the restaurant (not me) some money.
The other stuff...stuffing, 'puffin'-muffin (biscuit ?) , mashed whatever and pie...that's the part they won't touch...'the vegetables taste funny...'

Am I supposed to order one roast dinner for farang and then request the staff to trim all the other dishes and quibble over the amount to pay as if in a Thai market ?

At least with your pie, I heat - I eat...the family can try and spit out as they choose. ThumbUp6

jai kow jai

I was trying to be funny Coffee. I guess I failed.

Joe, my first sentence Joe was inquiring as whether to take your comment in jest or not.
I understand now it was in jest...which is cool.
R U coming to Prasat Friday ??? ThumbUp6

FB,
I just hit a moment of 'severe seriousness' when I realized too late that 'Auntie' ("F8*k Auntie, no !") put hot water in that fresh 250 gr jar of decaffeinated thinking she's making a packet of ready-mixed 3-in-1 sh*t...what will they do next ?????
I know she did not mean to...it's just...ugh ('nuff said). Cry3.
Maybe I should start smoking CIGARS in the house...under the covers all hours of the day & night...
maybe would be best while watching the Thai soaps at nite with loving family. Think1
Will you be going to Prasat on Friday, comrade ?
(no worries, we'll leave the PLO debate for another time...its only been 65 years since that started.)

Sorry Coffee, won't be able to make this one as I have a bit going on at the moment. Have a good time though, I'm sure we will meet up another time.

Its pretty certain that the FC is going to do a Sunday Roast and i hope he does very well,i rememeber many years ago my freind had a bar and his main rival started doing sunday roasts,he said he would never do them,one month later after seeing HIS CUSTOMERS going to eat at his rivals establishment saw a change of opinion,he was concerned that he could lose them on other days if they got into the mode of going there.

At the moment cent says he dont have a market for this product,i wonder if that will change if the FC does a roaring sunday trade.

I wish I had your confidence in us... we do have some plans that should please quite few people anyways... is it a Sunday roast? The answer is ___ :confused:

Back