Water Shortages In Surin - July 2019

Under normal circumstances our 1,000 litre tank would be good for 2 - 3 days un-replenished. I am hoping that our current water saving measures will increase that to 6 days. At present the water is still trickling in.
With our family of 4, and 3 of them are girls, we use 18,000 litres a month or 600 litres a day. The tank hold 2,100 litres so it's good for just over 3 days domestic supply with out refilling. If I wash the car or water the garden the consumption increases by about a third. For most of this year I have neither washed the car nor watered the garden. The water inlet pipe from town usually has a head of 2 meters plus and sufficient to refill the tank. Recently the water pressure has dropped off and has been insufficient to fill the tank. However, there has usually been a head of 1 metre or more in the pipes and, with the new pump switched on, I can now pump about 1,000 litres an hour into the tank. The modification has been worthwhile and successful.

How much have you reduced that by in the current crises?
I will tell you when the next water bill comes in, usually around the 3rd to 5th of the month. I doubt if there has been a significant drop. My contribution has been no car wash each week and no watering for the garden. The lawn is not looking very good and is overgrown too.

Been getting rain for the past 4 days, mostly light to medium showers that would last for 15 minuets at a time. Last night a very steady rain of about 6 hours which has made a big difference. Water is standing in the paddies and at this rate SWMBO will not have to use that pond for her rice. The new pond is up about 2 inches. The pond at the main house and CRU is up about 4 inches.

67462624_2310373042343561_7148041558799941632_n.jpg

67731044_2310373112343554_3491854337733296128_n.jpg

67389809_2310373165676882_1823369103558049792_n.jpg

Only 34mm of rain last night at Salak Dai. I really expected more as it seemed to rain all night.

P413xNz.jpg

It was a good test for my new rainwater harvesting overflow system. When the rainwater tanks are full, the water is directed to fill my pond. When it is raining the height difference between the top of the raised tanks and the pond allows the water to flow to the pond. The pressure is increased by the back pressure of the raised height of water in my rainwater down pipes.

lmDwAFR.jpg

I have also added a pump to the system so that I can pump rainwater from the tanks to the pond. I aim to keep the tanks at about 75-80% full if rain is expected.

SIWHt4G.jpg

Prior to the start of this year’s drought, the Thais living near my house thought I was a bit crazy buying so many water tanks. Even my girlfriend’s family didn’t know what to say when people asked them about them. However, when their shallow well started to run dry, they were very grateful to have their own rainwater harvesting system installed. They also have access to unlimited fresh drinking water from my filters.

fphLVLZ.jpg

Over a year ago I installed my first solar well pump and it caused quite a bit of interest as most people locally had never seen one. Now I know of several who have plans to install them

Only 34mm of rain last night at Salak Dai. I really expected more as it seemed to rain all night.

It was a good test for my new rainwater harvesting overflow system. When the rainwater tanks are full, the water is directed to fill my pond. When it is raining the height difference between the top of the raised tanks and the pond allows the water to flow to the pond. The pressure is increased by the back pressure of the raised height of water in my rainwater down pipes.

I have also added a pump to the system so that I can pump rainwater from the tanks to the pond. I aim to keep the tanks at about 75-80% full if rain is expected.

SIWHt4G.jpg
If your tanks are already full, I am surprised that the bore of that pipe can cope with the flow of a torrential downpour. I would have thought a 4 inch pipe, maybe 6 inch, would be necessary.

With our family of 4, and 3 of them are girls, we use 18,000 litres a month or 600 litres a day. The tank hold 2,100 litres so it's good for just over 3 days domestic supply with out refilling.

Interesting.
With only three in our household over the last six months our monthly meter readings run the gamut from 15,000 - 20,000 litres.
On what seems to be a monthly basis we do have extra bodies* staying over for a couple of days.

We've cut back under the current drought alert so I'll await the next reading.

When "the city" didn't have water we had four additional bodies eating, bathing and doing laundry.

If your tanks are already full, I am surprised that the bore of that pipe can cope with the flow of a torrential downpour. I would have thought a 4 inch pipe, maybe 6 inch, would be necessary.

The water does backup in the 4 inch down pipes and 6 inch ring main. There is quite a bit of buffer capacity. Obviously, this is the first test and I will be monitoring the situation.

The system worked well this time, but maybe just because the 34mm of rain was spread over several hours.

อัพเดทสถานการณ์น้ำ 1 สิงหาคม 2562 #น้ำไหล เข้าพื้นที่สูบผลิตน้ำประปา #อ่างเก็บน้ำห้วยเสนง #อบจ.สุรินทร์ นำรถแบคโฮ ขุดเป็นร่องน้ำลึกขนาดเล็ก เชื่อมต่อกับ พื้นที่ ชลประทานขุดลอกไว้แล้ว รอบอ่างเก็บน้ำห้วยเสนง เปิดน้ำที่ขังอยู่ไหลลงไปรวมที่บริเวณพื้นที่สูบน้ำ เพื่อผลิตน้ำประปา ซึ่งมีปริมาณน้ำมากมากพอสมควร
#บ่อหินเก่าใกล้วนอุทยานพนมสวาย ขณะนี้เจ้าหน้าที่เร่งติดตั้งปั๊มสูน้ำขนาดใหญ่ ท่อหน้ากว้าง 40 มิลลิเมตร เพิ่มอีกตัว เพื่อสูบน้ำจาก่อหินเก่า ไปยังอ่างเก็บน้ำห้วยเสนง ซึ่งจากกา...See More

Update the water situation 1 August 2562 #water flows into the area, smoking, producing water. #Huai #bake In brings a small deep water channels, connected to the irrigation area, dug it up and around the water basin, huai charming, open the water that is locked down, flowing down in the area of smoking water to produce the water water, which has the quantity. A lot of water, quite a bit.
#Old Stone Pond near the park of Phnom Penh. Now the staff is rushing to install the big water pump. The front tube is width 40 millimeters. Add another to smoke the old stone water to the huai charming water basin, which is from the water pumping during the period. One day ago, the one machine has a lot of water flowing in the canal. But some times the flow of water flows slowly. There is a lid of water overflowing. It is responsible to find out. What should I fix?
The water flow from this point is about 12 km. It is expected that it takes less than 4-5 days. Water will be flowing into the huai charming water basin. Now, the military officer. 25 and the in, in, chon, in, in,, source,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

- Suphan Arrow -
·
Rate this translation

+8

More on the drought from BKK Post, featuring Huay Saneng with even LESS water in it!

There is no data recorded within that image to indicate the date that it was taken. Not that I'm accusing The Bangkok Post of being unscrupulous.

Fair comment Yorky, but have you ever seen the reservoir that empty during your time in Surin? Has anyone else? I went to Huay Saneng a week ago yesterday, and there were more puddles there then, especially under the pumping station where they’d dredged a sump.

+9

นสพ.ฐานความจริง สุรินทร์
7 hrs ·
ทหาร กกล.สุรนารี ให้ความช่วยเหลือและร่วมปฏิบัติงานร่วมกับส่วนราชการ จ.สุรินทร์ ในการวางท่อส่งน้ำ พร้อมทั้งนำเครื่องสูบน้ำ FLYGT ขนาด 310 kW. จำนวน 1 เครื่อง ติ...

See More
See Translation

Back