HMPO, Liverpool

After 9 months of "discussions" with HMPO London and Liverpool offices, it appears that we are on the brink of a solution - with one exception. HMPO Liverpool advise that they do not have the authority to confirm that all the costs that I have incurred will be reimbursed. They advised me to contact the complaints section of their website.

This I did and was requested to provide my own details and full details of my complaint and once they receive the details they will then pass them on to their Resolutions Team who will investigate the matter further. You should expect to receive a reply shortly from the relevant department.

I answered as follows:

"My passport ********* issued on ************** had my name spelt incorrectly. HMPO Liverpool have admitted responsibility for the error and a replacement passport is in the process of being issued. However, it took a period of 9 months to resolve the problem during which time I have incurred costs and there will be further costs which HMPO Liverpool does not have the power to authorise. HMPO Liverpool (Mr. John Gregory) suggested that I apply to you for authorisation for reimbursement."

To which the complaint help line replied:

"Dear Mr Yorky, thank you for your email. Please email the below email address and advise them of the error you have received in your new passport. If there is a mistake in your passport please provide full details to HM Passport Office at Liverpool@hmpo.gov.uk."

[Edit: I've email John Gregory with the above information and asked "what do I do now?"]

Last edited:
"Dear Mr Yorky, thank you for your email. Please email the below email address and advise them of the error you have received in your new passport. If there is a mistake in your passport please provide full details to HM Passport Office at Liverpool@hmpo.gov.uk."

I just sent a test email to that address:

HM Passport Office​

6:58 PM (0 minutes ago)
to me

This mailbox is no longer in use, and your email has not been forwarded.
For contact information, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line
Kind regards,
HM Passport Office

Last edited:
I just sent a test email to that address:

HM Passport Office​

6:58 PM (0 minutes ago)
to me

This mailbox is no longer in use, and your email has not been forwarded.
For contact information, please visit: https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line
Kind regards,
HM Passport Office

I sent the above information to the help line (complaints) and received this:

"Thank you for your email regarding the error on your passport.

I have passed your email on to the Passport Office for a reply. Due to the measures introduced in response to the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic, which include social distancing and protecting vulnerable people, our responses to your e-mail will take longer than usual. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience at this difficult time. The Passport Office will respond to you as soon as possible.

Regards,
His Majesty’s Passport Office"

So His Majesty's Passport Office has sent the email to His Majesty's Passport Office for a reply.

I thought this COVID shit was a thing of the past now?

I think @Yorky this is now a matter you should refer to the Ombudsman. I have had success with them in the past, and on behalf of a local Thai widow I will likely be seeking their assistance next week

I sent the above information to the help line (complaints) and received this:

"Thank you for your email regarding the error on your passport.

I have passed your email on to the Passport Office for a reply. Due to the measures introduced in response to the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic, which include social distancing and protecting vulnerable people, our responses to your e-mail will take longer than usual. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience at this difficult time. The Passport Office will respond to you as soon as possible.

Regards,
His Majesty’s Passport Office"

So His Majesty's Passport Office has sent the email to His Majesty's Passport Office for a reply.

I thought this COVID shit was a thing of the past now?

Latest response:

"Dear Mr Yorky

We are sorry to hear that there is an error on your passport.

A letter has been sent out to your email stating the next steps and to provide the necessary documents and photos.

Please keep your receipts for the cost of sending the passport back to us to enable us to reimburse you if the error was made by His Majesty's Passport Office.

We endeavour to deal with the issue as quickly as possible but cannot make any guarantees on timescales."

I seriously believe that they live in a different time zone.

However, I do note the highlighted statement to which I shall respond.

I think @Yorky this is now a matter you should refer to the Ombudsman. I have had success with them in the past, and on behalf of a local Thai widow I will likely be seeking their assistance next week

The information that I have is that reference to the Ombudsman should be instigated through your MP. As you know "my" MP has refused to "represent" me as I am not currently on the electoral register for his constituency.

The information that I have is that reference to the Ombudsman should be instigated through your MP. As you know "my" MP has refused to "represent" me as I am not currently on the electoral register for his constituency.

Anybody can usually contact the Ombudsman when you have exhausted options with a particular company.

Anybody can usually contact the Ombudsman when you have exhausted options with a particular company.

I have this evening emailed John Gregory and informed him, politely, that my current out of pocket costs are less than ฿1,000.00 (excluding my time) and if I receive the replacement passport direct to my home without further expense I am prepared to forego those costs just to put an end to this farce. I did not say that if that did not happen, I would fight tooth and nail to obtain every penny that I can from HMPO - but I hope that he could read that threat between the lines.

And it goes on, and on, and on, and on.

Help @customerservice.hmpo.gov.uk - Thu Dec 1 8:14 PM
to me
Dear Mr Yorky

Thank you for your email regarding the error on your passport.

Regards,
His Majesty’s Passport Office.

Me
to Liverpool, help.

Dear Sirs,

It has now been 12 days since my email to you regarding confirmation that I shall be reimbursed my full costs in respect of my contribution to the issue and collection of the passport that is due to be issued to replace that erroneously issued previously by HMPO.

To repeat again, I notified HMPO of the error in my passport (No. ******088) in early March this year and I have since been required to "jump through hoops" to have the passport re-issued correctly. HMPO have admitted that the fault in issuing said incorrect passport was theirs but have, on numerous occasions, refused to confirm that I shall be reimbursed my costs connected with it's re-issue and collection.

I would be grateful if you would look into this matter.

Best regards,

help@customerservice.hmpo.gov.uk
to me

Dear Yorky,

Thank you for your email regarding the error on your passport.

If you wish for us to log a complaint in regards to costs connected to this, we will require the following details:
  • Full name (applicant’s if different)
  • Date of birth
  • Full postal address including postal code
  • Telephone number
  • Who the complaint is regarding
  • How you would like to be contacted regarding the complaint (Call-back or in writing).
  • Relationship to applicant (if complaint is not regarding yourself).
  • Application Number (if in your possession)
  • Full details regarding your complaint or more information you feel is relevant to the complaint.
Once we receive these details we will then pass them on to our Resolutions Team who will investigate the matter further. You should expect to receive a reply shortly from the relevant department.

Regards,
His Majesty’s Passport Office

Last edited:
You are not alone Yorky. I have been fighting wth Royal Bank of Scotland for the past 3 months. Having had all the required docs for a Thai widow, 3 months later they demanded a notarised copy of her passport. She has no passport, but they have a notarised copy of her ID card, which forms the basis of a Thai passport. No savvy, no logic. Just a continuous we want, we want, we want. Now with the Ombudsman!

You are not alone Yorky. I have been fighting wth Royal Bank of Scotland for the past 3 months. Having had all the required docs for a Thai widow, 3 months later they demanded a notarised copy of her passport. She has no passport, but they have a notarised copy of her ID card, which forms the basis of a Thai passport. No savvy, no logic. Just a continuous we want, we want, we want. Now with the Ombudsman!

I am definitely sure I am not alone. But I am not going to reply this evening, I shall wait until I calm down tomorrow (if I ever do calm down).

Who is responsible for employing these wankers?

I am definitely sure I am not alone. But I am not going to reply this evening, I shall wait until I calm down tomorrow (if I ever do calm down).

Who is responsible for employing these wankers?
Government Dept. The buck stops at the top. PM!

Back