Irish senior promises 1 million baht dowry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Smile and the world will smile with you. We live in hope anyway.
I never have a problem in my life , so I smile everyday, just can't stand thai woman who scam western man and when I see I talk up .

Let's revisit this in 5 years time and see if they all lived happily ever after, Deerculler and GL can keep us in the loop no doubt.

But stories like this annoy me because they raise the expectations of the uneducated in the villages and they think that all farang have more money than sense. NOT my wife I might add, but we are directly affected as the price of land goes up due to this. I only want to buy 2 or 3 pieces of land around my castle, but things like this an other farang in the area make the price higher than I will pay.

Let's revisit this in 5 years time and see if they all lived happily ever after, Deerculler and GL can keep us in the loop no doubt.

But stories like this annoy me because they raise the expectations of the uneducated in the villages and they think that all farang have more money than sense. NOT my wife I might add, but we are directly affected as the price of land goes up due to this. I only want to buy 2 or 3 pieces of land around my castle, but things like this an other farang in the area make the price higher than I will pay.

An old lady came trudging down the road with a hand cart the other day. It was loaded with hand tools for the garden. I felt slightly sorry for the old lady, selected a hoe and offered 100 baht. "No, no," she replied, "its 180 baht". I took back my hand with the 100 baht, smiled and said thank you but no thank you. I am quite sure she saw a Farang and doubled the price. Thai Watsadu sell the exact same garden implements for 90 baht. You are quite right Adam, stories like this just add to the expectations of the locals who think we have more money than sense.

An old lady came trudging down the road with a hand cart the other day. It was loaded with hand tools for the garden. I felt slightly sorry for the old lady, selected a hoe and offered 100 baht. "No, no," she replied, "its 180 baht". I took back my hand with the 100 baht, smiled and said thank you but no thank you. I am quite sure she saw a Farang and doubled the price. Thai Watsadu sell the exact same garden implements for 90 baht. You are quite right Adam, stories like this just add to the expectations of the locals who think we have more money than sense.

Even living so close to Thai Watsadu, it would likely have cost you more than the extra 90baht in motoring costs. The old lady was offering you door to door service!:)

Even living so close to Thai Watsadu, it would likely have cost you more than the extra 90baht in motoring costs. The old lady was offering you door to door service!:)

In Darwin they call this value adding for freight. It was freighted to your door after all. I used to be able to walk in the market with my wife in Sikhorapum. This practice was forced to be halted when Farang Tax was imposed on my wife. My wife was offered a plot of land a while back it was offered to my wife at a price that was double and would not be negotiated on that it finally went for. I agree cases like this just educates and enforces that Farangs have too much money and are stupid.

In Darwin they call this value adding for freight. It was freighted to your door after all. I used to be able to walk in the market with my wife in Sikhorapum. This practice was forced to be halted when Farang Tax was imposed on my wife. My wife was offered a plot of land a while back it was offered to my wife at a price that was double and would not be negotiated on that it finally went for. I agree cases like this just educates and enforces that Farangs have too much money and are stupid.

Having the will to say "no" can be a huge cost saver in Thailand.

This has been an interesting thread so far, some good and some maybe not so good, but interesting nonetheless. My outlook on this is pretty basic: if I want it, and can afford it, I get it. Doesn't matter the product per se, just 'is it what I want, and do I want to buy it?'
Regarding the Irish man and his sinsod, not in my budget so I wouldn't do it. But......up to him, not me.
Regarding the over-priced hoe, maybe it was something I needed right away, she had it right there and also was relying on a sale to make her living. Under those circumstances it would probably end up with me happy, her happy.

Just trying to show the difference in over-priced hoes.
:laughing::anguished:

it happens that I also buy overpriced items, I kinda know that I'm being scammed
But I do in order to save time
There is a limit to how much time I can spend on looking for required items that are not overpriced

(time is valuable)

I was only trying to be kind to this little old lady selling her wares. I already have 2 hoes and I didn't really need another. However, there is taking the piss and taking the piss. And FYI CO-CO, the number of times I go to Thai Watsadu each month for other bits and pieces would swallow any additional costs associated with buying another hoe. Besides, its only a couple of clicks on my Click! No cost at all really. And I and in the same position as Rice - I am banned from accompanying my wife to the market. The Farang Tax pushes up the price of the local produce no end, so I am told.

I was only trying to be kind to this little old lady selling her wares. I already have 2 hoes and I didn't really need another. However, there is taking the piss and taking the piss. And FYI CO-CO, the number of times I go to Thai Watsadu each month for other bits and pieces would swallow any additional costs associated with buying another hoe. Besides, its only a couple of clicks on my Click! No cost at all really. And I and in the same position as Rice - I am banned from accompanying my wife to the market. The Farang Tax pushes up the price of the local produce no end, so I am told.

2 'hoes' is enough for anyone to look after.

(I think it was Nick who commented on fuel costs)

7 years ago, my wife was offered 8 rai of land under rubber trees right next to our 16 rai block. The asking price was about 600,ooo thb which was reasonably cheap but, the vendors wife had passed and he needed cash. Two days before the settlement, old mate found out there was a Farang involved and, you guessed it, the price doubled, no thanks, forget it and go f**k yourself.
He sold it 1 month later for 500,000 thb, SOM NOM NA mutha fukker.

Having the will to say "no" can be a huge cost saver in Thailand.
That and starting again!
40b19e4c9975ae933031b280c85bfc8b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When a 44 year old thai needs a sin son of one million thai bht she is a c??? Of a thing.
And a gold digger.

Exactly!!

I had the same situation as Feret when I first came here. We had no house my wife had no land and an "uncle", you know what these family relationships are like in the villages, told my wife that a very good friend of his has some land for sale 250,000 baht (this was 14 years ago!). We went to have a look, liked it, but it would need work, it had no water or electricity supply and was just a nice piece of land, well away from the village.

So we went around to his house one evening, he took one look at me and the price doubled! He never sold the land and is now dead!! My wife sometimes rents the land for a song for a year to grow cane. We don't need it now as we have a nice house built on some cheap land and have bought most of the land around it.

But stories like the OP, just keep the myth going.

Now that is very funny made my day
And soooooo true
When a 44 year old thai needs a sin son of one million thai bht she is a c??? Of a thing.
And a gold digger.
MMMMMM, Mathmatically speaking, 1,000,000 thb @ 1,000 thb per night for sex and company equates to 739.726 years of uncommitted pleasure, Awsome.;):D:D:D:rolleyes::p. Why buy when you can rent.

MMMMMM, Mathmatically speaking, 1,000,000 thb @ 1,000 thb per night for sex and company equates to 739.726 years of uncommitted pleasure, Awsome.;):D:D:D:rolleyes::p. Why buy when you can rent.

There is something wrong with your mathematics Feret. You have omitted the bar fines and the bar bills from your calculations. Even if you add these into the equation I reckon you would get 375.885 years of uncommitted pleasure. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back