MHaywards Building information

As an ex-plumber and having gone through about 5 pumps in the last few years (for my fish pond), I have been drawn to the conclusion that submersible pumps are a dead loss. When I get round to resurrecting my fish pond/filtration system, I will buy a pump to 'pull' the water out of my pond and back again into it after a gravity fed filter system.

Just thought I'd mention it!

As an ex bank official, Dave, did you "pull" money out of the bank too? :LMAO1:cheesycheesycheesy

3 Phase Supply - Meter

Hi Folks,

Now back at work, earning more cash to continue with the house build which I have decided to persevere with despite the 'personal difficulties' which are now pretty much overcome.
Building Work has continued, albeit with several delays, partly because I stopped the money for a short while, but mainly as it is Rice Harvest Season and that of course prevails over all.

Our electrician has been really excellent with a very high standard of workmanship all round. All Cables are properly connected in Terminal Boxes up in the roof, anti-rodent conduit is used in all areas and everything is twin and earth, even the lighting circuits.
If anyone is looking for a really good electrician who knows how to do things properly without being chased 24/7 then this is your man.
We have Square D - 30 way 3-Phase Load Centre and a 17 different circuits used so far, all fittings are Panasonic and lighting is Phillips original gear all round, a total of 60 or so light fittings including quite a few IP65 exterior ones. Even the bathroom lights are all IP44, just to keep things correct.

The 3-phase has been run down the post and the conduit laid underground to the house, so the last thing to be ordered/fitted is the meter. See Pics.

Anyone any idea on the cost of installing a 3 Phase meter from the electricity company.

Cheers, MH

Attachments

• PA299949.JPG
    PA299949.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 5
  • PA299950.JPG
    PA299950.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 6
  • PA299954.JPG
    PA299954.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 8
Hi Folks,

Now back at work, earning more cash to continue with the house build which I have decided to persevere with despite the 'personal difficulties' which are now pretty much overcome.
Building Work has continued, albeit with several delays, partly because I stopped the money for a short while, but mainly as it is Rice Harvest Season and that of course prevails over all.

Our electrician has been really excellent with a very high standard of workmanship all round. All Cables are properly connected in Terminal Boxes up in the roof, anti-rodent conduit is used in all areas and everything is twin and earth, even the lighting circuits.
If anyone is looking for a really good electrician who knows how to do things properly without being chased 24/7 then this is your man.
We have Square D - 30 way 3-Phase Load Centre and a 17 different circuits used so far, all fittings are Panasonic and lighting is Phillips original gear all round, a total of 60 or so light fittings including quite a few IP65 exterior ones. Even the bathroom lights are all IP44, just to keep things correct.

The 3-phase has been run down the post and the conduit laid underground to the house, so the last thing to be ordered/fitted is the meter. See Pics.

Anyone any idea on the cost of installing a 3 Phase meter from the electricity company.

Cheers, MH

No reply...???

Looks all good and correct/safe what your'e doing MH and i'll keep your man in mind for a future build next year. As for your question on price for a meter fix I honestly dont know, sorry. I see this is one of the 'non answers that you didn't receive', I understand your posting now MH. ThumbUp6

The cost of the meter I forget but also you have to upgrade some of the cables and fuses and so on inside the house to make it safe, also the cables leading to the house from the meter have to be a lot more heavy duty! I think the meter only cost 25000 but please don’t quote me on that .If your wife calls the local government electrical company they will know. They say your electric bills will be less costly using heavy duty faze. Im not an expert on 3 faze but I know it comes in different sizes Single double and triple. I guess you will be using single ,if you went with triple you would have a big transformer put outside your house and this can cost around 100.000 if not more .

The cost of the meter I forget but also you have to upgrade some of the cables and fuses and so on inside the house to make it safe, also the cables leading to the house from the meter have to be a lot more heavy duty! I think the meter only cost 25000 but please don’t quote me on that .If your wife calls the local government electrical company they will know. They say your electric bills will be less costly using heavy duty faze. Im not an expert on 3 faze but I know it comes in different sizes Single double and triple. I guess you will be using single ,if you went with triple you would have a big transformer put outside your house and this can cost around 100.000 if not more .

There is nothing to ''upgrade'' in my case, the house is already fitted with a 3 phase Load Centre (Square D 30 way) from scratch. I have so far used 17 circuits internally, with 13 remaining for outside at the Pool etc, easily used up.
Supply outside in the road as shown in pics is 220v 3-Phase just like most villages in Thailand - Leading down the main road we have 4 wires, 3 lives and a neutral. The big transformer you mention is further up the lane and does the whole village, stepping down from the High Voltage Main Supply to 220 for domestic. In the lane at the back we only have 2 wires on the Supply Poles meaning that 3-phase is not available there.

Most houses have 220v Single phase - ie they pick up one live and the neutral from the 4 wire supply, with successive houses picking up different lives and the same neutral down the road so as to spread the load across the phases equally and reduce voltage drops etc. Single phase 220 is available in 5 (15), 15 (45) and 30 (100) with the first figure being the max continuous Amp rating and the second being the peak.

I have merely ''picked up'' all three lives and the neutral down from the supply in the road, thereby giving me a ''four wire'' three-phase supply to my place.
This is often a ''commercial'' application however as I am building a large place and intend to put in a Pool etc I feel that the single-phase 220v supply will possibly be a bit overstretched at max available 30 amps. My four aircons will draw more than 25 if all are running, so do the maths - so at single phase 220v, the max I can draw is 6600 Watts (6.6KW) continuously, although the system will tend to cope with more.

I have gone for a 3-phase Four Wire supply with the minimum, non-commercial meter running at 3 x 220v @ 15 Amps Continuous, which gives me a 45 Amp load to play with and as it is spread over 3 phases, less voltage drops or spikes due to others switching in and out down the road.
Wires are all in place as is the Load Centre in the House, now all I need is the meter. Reputed to cost 18-20K thb, but i was just wondering if anyone knew...I will find out very shortly.

Now do you understand...take a look at the poles outside your place next time, then you may see what I mean by all this....lol.

Cheers, MH

Last edited:
WTF1Now could you explain that in Latin Lost1

I used to think that I was a clever so and so, but Bow5all the above is like a foreign language to me!

Adam

WTF1Now could you explain that in Latin Lost1

I used to think that I was a clever so and so, but Bow5all the above is like a foreign language to me!

Adam

I am only a simple Ship Captain by trade...however as a Navigator I rarely got lost...:wink:

Having designed the house I thought I had better do a bit of research and try to get things right, all the above I actually learned from guys on the TV Forum - good stuff methinks.

I have also done the same with the planning of the plumbing etc, but also had some great help from a few Forum Members here too.

Cheers, MH

My wife designed and got the house built, very cheap too compared to some nightmares I have heard about.

What can I say everything works as it should!!

Good News guys...Life not so bad after all..no need for the Demolition Gang just yet either.

On 16th February after a long time and plenty of arguments...finally succeeded in getting my own name added onto the Chanote Land Title for the whole project...so we can now go ahead with the rest of the build, as opposed to Demolition lol.
Now I have the Title Usufruct sorted, the family can also have all the other benefis of our planned project as we go on.

Details are a long story however getting the Name on the Title was a very simple procedure which, once we had agreed everything, took all of ten minutes at the Sangkha Land Office and cost me 75 baht total....made the use of the Lawyer etc a bit of a waste of time and money actually, but the advice given was very much worth it all.

Anyone wanting details of how to do it the easy way...send me a PM and I will help if I can.

I will try to post more info on the build as we progress.

Cheers, MH

I guess I don't quite understand, it is well known that Farang can not own land, So what purpose does it do to have your name on the Chanote Land Title except make the governmment aware?????

I’m going to find out through a lawyer today Mike, maybe in Sangkha they don’t understand or maybe they do but if they put the name in Thai it’s a mistake they can get away with!
But I would guess it’s not worth in ink its written in .

A Usufruct gives him control of the land until he dies. There is no time limit and it is also transferable. If things go bad he can throw the family out and live there himself or rent it to someone else if he wants to. They can only get "The Monument" from him after he is dead. Very smart move by MHayward.

Last edited:
Back